Vice President, Application Development
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
The VP, Application Development will serve as the Point of Contact to the Banking business and Leadership team. This executive will focus on innovative and modern application development solutions for Discover’s state of the art digital banking platform, Otis. The Vice President of Application Development is responsible for understanding the Banking business goals, anticipating business needs, and proactively providing digital technology solutions as those needs arise. In addition this role will lead a team consisting of Application Developers, Agile Coaches/Teams and Support staff.
Business Partner – proactively reaches out to internal customers and peers to establish trusting relationships; strives to understand goals of business/technology, takes broad POV, effectively manages requests and helps to understand tradeoffs and make difficult decisions.
Change Agent – effectively presents strategic direction to internal customers and direct reports; seeks to differentiate and improve customer experience in proactive manner; let’s others speak and seeks to understand their viewpoints
Team Leader – develops clear goals for the team and aligns the business unit behind them to drive results; focuses on enabling the team to make decisions and demonstrates support for their team
Talent Developer – seeks to understand direct reports career aspirations, strength and opportunity areas before providing guidance; defines capabilities and expectations for role(s) based on needs; provides context on situations when provide feedback
- Engage with business partners to refine requirements and strategies to help drive business goals/objectives and lead the team to deliver and support innovative digital technology solutions to meet business goals
- Implement a technology strategy leveraging cloud and advanced analytics
- Enhance the application delivery practices, processes and tools, driving further adoption of Discover Management Systems, Agile, and Value Stream Principles within the department
- Continue to support the Otis Banking Platform by building a line of credit capability
- Establish and manage Workforce Planning initiatives to ensure the BT organization can achieve its goals/initiatives by having the right people with the rights skills and competencies in the right places and the right time.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Technology or a related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 12 + years of experience in Application Development, Computer Science, Software Development, Programming or related experience.
- Financial Service industry experience strongly preferred.