Root was founded in 2015 on the principle that car insurance rates should be based primarily on driving behaviors, not demographics. The company has been revolutionizing this outdated industry ever since, using mobile technology and data science to offer personalized auto insurance rates to good drivers. Tapping into the technology in smartphones to measure driving behavior such as braking, speed of turns, driving times, and route regularity, Root determines who is a safe driver and who isn't. By only insuring safe drivers, Root can offer more affordable car insurance rates. In 2020, the company extended to additional lines of insurance, including renters and homeowners, and launched Root Enterprise, a platform that uses telematics to improve the way commercial companies assess and manage risk. In addition, we’ve recently announced our partnership with Carvana, inviting an exciting future for both companies in our future. Root Insurance is the largest property casualty InsurTech in the U.S. with three offices across the country and more than 1,000 employees. In 2018, Root became the first insurance tech startup outside of the healthcare sector to be valued at over a billion dollars. In October of 2020, Root had its initial public offering, raising $724 million, Ohio’s largest IPO to date.
The VP, Engineering will be responsible for developing the companywide engineering roadmap to support long-term objectives, scaling technology systems and teams, and growing technical skill sets of Root engineers. The VP, Engineering will help represent Root as a spokesperson in public forums in respect to technology, and in developing an outward-facing engineering brand that attracts the best engineering talent to Root.
● Develop and execute best-in-class technology strategies that align to company strategy and enable the company to achieve business and
● Collaborate with executive and business teams on technical considerations to structure engineering to support cross-functional
● Establishing an engineering talent brand that is effective at attracting and retaining the best engineering talent to Root. Define management and development practices to promote high levels of employee engagement.
● Direct the creation and execution of technology and engineering roadmaps coordinated across business products and infrastructure in
conjunction with key cross-functional partners.
A great person for this role is:
● Technical savant with a love of and deep passion for solving tech problems
● Visionary systems thinker who can lay out a path for change in the organization
● Inspiring leader who can excite internal and external audiences with tech vision
● Deep product thinker who can lead engineers to be business-minded partners
● Experienced with high degree of executive competence
● A seasoned technology leader with a drive for results orientation
● Someone who could be world class at recruiting, a talent magnet