Vice President of Engineering at Civis Analytics
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
What we are looking for
Reporting to the CEO, we are seeking a VP of Engineering to build on the excellence of our engineering teams and collaborate with product leaders to create innovative products on time. The VP is responsible for the day-to-day team, people management and leadership duties of the entire engineering department at Civis. Ultimately, success in this role will be measured by the company’s ability to meet the evolving needs of its customers and set the pace of product innovation for the market.
Under the VP's direction, the engineering organization at Civis will attract, engage and retain the most talented and diverse engineers and motivate them to do the best work of their careers.
- Mentors and guides the professional and technical development of the team and creates an environment where employees feel supported and appreciated. Develops their careers, and assigns them to projects tailored to their skill levels, work styles, and professional goals. Grows the next set of leaders. Embraces difficult performance conversations with the goal of improving the overall team.
- Reviews the technical vision and architecture decisions of our engineering leaders, setting priorities and communicating necessary trade-offs to other teams. Ensures teams ship on-time, high-quality products.
- Represent our engineering efforts accurately through a deep understanding of our products and users.
- Drive best practice sharing across teams around methodology, documentation and technology decisions including; testing, deploying, and developing code. Encourages and enforces the right behaviors to ensure Civis delivers.
- Designs and implements organizational structures to ensure optimal performance and resource allocation. Allocates team members and resources across different product groups as required to meet company/product goals.
- Ensures that efforts and energy align with clearly articulated goals of the company. Builds a culture of transparency and data-driven intra-team communication to ensure smooth operation and clarity. Makes sure that all members of the team understand the “why” as well as the “what”. Represents the point of view of the technical organization across other business stakeholder groups.
- Meets with candidates, interviews and builds relationships to ensure an excellent candidate experience. Aligns other stakeholders on the desired qualities of candidates (and how to screen for these). Outcomes focus on hiring of high-quality talent and high acceptance rate of offers.
- Acts as a spokesperson for Civis in the Chicago Tech community. Engages in brand building activities through meetups, blog posts, personal network, etc.
- Ensures the Client Success team is meeting our client needs and has the tools to be efficient and successful in their roles.
- Proven track record/success delivering Enterprise Software and applications at scale.
- Motivated, positive, and highly engaged hands-on leader.
- Ability to operate and deliver results on time and on budget.
- 10+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 6+ hands-on technical management experience.
- Experience leading managers and engineers at all levels, skilled at guiding them through their career development.
- Has a technical background and is able to contribute to planning and design discussions.
- Experience implementing organizational processes to ensure that the team delivers on their accountabilities.
- Can think strategically but act and lead tactically, sometimes in ambiguous contexts.
- Experience creating organizational alignment to get the entire team working towards the same vision while still understanding their unique role in delivering upon "the game plan".
- Bias to action and data-supported results.
- Thrives in a collaborative environment, and committed to driving projects.
- Experience and ability to succeed in fast-paced, high-growth and dynamic environments.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, backed by experience with both internal and external audiences.
- Familiar with Data Science workflows.
- Familiar with the Civis tech stack (Ruby, AWS, React or AngularJS, Spark, Docker).
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why Civis Analytics?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on continued learning, mentorship, and internal promotion
- Competitive benefits including flexible PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, as well as health, dental, and vision benefits
- Downtown open office environment near great restaurants and all public transportation options
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW