Rocket Travel is looking for a VP of Engineering to join our rapidly growing global workforce. Today, we're a hybrid team headquartered out of Chicago's West Loop, with team members spread out across the globe from the domestic locales of Michigan to Florida, and Florianópolis, Brazil to Bangkok, Thailand.
In this position, you will lead and grow our engineering team of 40 engineers in designing and developing travel applications, and lead strategy of technical collaborations with other brands within Booking Holdings (BKNG). The right candidate will enjoy working in a flexible environment with the latest technologies. You will help us continue to provide best-in-class travel applications for our customers around the world.As VP of Engineering at Rocket Travel, you will:
- Collaborate with the CTO, engineering leaders, product leaders, and other business stakeholders to build the world's most rewarding travel solutions.
- Translate the high-level strategic vision of the company into a clear and actionable technology roadmap.
- Lead technical strategy and collaborations with our counterparts at Agoda, a fellow Booking Holdings brand.
- Directly manage technical leads and engineering managers in the organization.
- Be responsible for working with teams on staffing and hiring engineers.
- Identify bottlenecks across the tech organization and work to remove them.
- Ensure that every member of the team understands the business goals for the quarter and is aligned to these goals.
- Contribute to architectural decisions with a focus on the product and business needs now and in the future.
- Identify areas for process evolution or clarification and gather stakeholders and create and communicate the strategy for resolving these issues.
- Structure our engineering team and coach engineering team members on career progression.
- Clearly articulate the needs from a personnel and cultural standpoint that will move the engineering organization to the next level.
At Rocket Travel, we’re building a diverse team that values accountability, curiosity, and community. If you share these values and are interested in joining us, we’d love to talk with you even if you don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed here. We don’t expect anyone to have all the answers, as long as they’re willing to learn and grow with us.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or closely related degree or equivalent practical experience.
- You have a minimum of 7 years of working experience at or above the senior engineer level, with a wide range of experience across software engineering disciplines.
- You have demonstrated experience in the management of a software engineering team.
- You have a proven track record of consistent project delivery, and designing and developing complex, interactive consumer sites/software.
- You communicate effectively and clearly.
- You can deliver concise, consistent, comprehensive and easy to understand communications to management, stakeholders, direct reports and technical and non-technical team members.
- You have experience leading technical teams through organizational change.
- You have working experience leading globally distributed and hybrid teams.
- Work with a group of intrinsically motivated people with a track record for building successful new businesses from scratch.
- Embody curiosity, community, and accountability. We live and build products by these values every day.
- Own decisions and take action that can be implemented in a matter of days (or hours).
- Get inspired and are encouraged to vacation faster, with an annual travel stipend that lets you see the world and test drive our product(s).
- Receive a competitive compensation package, including bonus, 401k with match, flexible vacation time, maternity and paternity benefits, health, and dental insurance.
- Have a flexible work environment. Though we have great offices in Chicago’s West Loop and in NYC’s Empire State building, we encourage people to work from wherever they are most effective.
- Share your passion for travel with equally adventurous teammates.
- Work within the largest online travel company in the world. Rocket Travel creates B2C and B2B2C travel products and is part of Booking Holdings (BKNG). We have many worldwide partners and a diversified business. Despite the world’s current situation, Booking Holdings has been rated the most financially healthy company in travel on the globe, and we’re using 2021 to prepare for the future. We’re solidifying our tech stack, our business capabilities, polishing our UI, and growing our partnerships so that we’ll be ready to meet the world’s pent-up demand for travel when the time comes.
Rocket Travel partners with airlines, loyalty programs, and other demand partners around the world to make travel even more rewarding. Our customers can earn and redeem miles, points, and gift cards, or save big with exclusive discounts, for booking travel accommodations around the world, from global favorite brands to boutique bed and breakfasts. We also help our partners curate vacation excursion planning and car rental services, with a completely branded experience from the first search to check-out from their stay.
We attract customers from every corner of the globe with a user experience that's built in-house from ideation to finished product: our team includes engineers, customer service, data analysts, designers, marketers, accountants, partnership sales, and managers. We have offices in Chicago, NYC, Bangkok, Bogota, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Manila, and Cebu, as well as colleagues working remotely across four continents. Our global partnerships range from world-class airlines to international banks to large-scale shopping platforms.
We began in 2013 as a start-up, were acquired by Bookings Holdings Group two quick years later, and we've been growing rapidly ever since. Rocket Travel is dedicated to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace where everyone has the opportunity to reach new heights in their career, and expand their knowledge working alongside talented, dedicated colleagues. We encourage all applicants with a touch of wanderlust to apply to our team, as we work toward helping our travelers reach the vacation of their dreams.
Candidates should be authorized to accept employment in the US from any employer, should be willing to start within three weeks of accepting an offer, and should be able to work the same daily working hours as our Chicago office.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are Rocket Travel priorities, and we are looking for candidates who will contribute positively to the company's mission to be an inclusive environment. Rocket Travel has multiple employee resource groups, including a diversity and inclusion committee, and has committed to DEI goals in hiring, employee retention, and the overall demographics of the organization. DEI is an important element of our values and we conduct ongoing and regular training for our teammates in an effort to foster collaboration, improve morale, and support one another.
Rocket Travel is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To all recruitment agencies: Rocket Travel does not accept third party resumes. Please do not send resumes to our jobs alias, Rocket Travel employees or any other organization location. Rocket Travel is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.