Web Engineer - React Specialty
Vokal is seeking an exceptional Web Engineer to join our development team. At Vokal you will have the opportunity to work on exciting projects for clients ranging from early startups to the Fortune 500. You will be on a team dedicated to employing best-practices across a range of technologies. Your experience as a member of our team matters just as much as the experiences we create for our clients and the users of their products.
If you’re an experienced HTML/CSS/JS engineer with in-depth experience with React, we can’t wait to connect—we love technology and are excited to apply it to the needs of our clients. Engineering at Vokal goes beyond just writing code, and we expect our team members to consider real-world application just as much as the nitty-gritty.
We’re looking for individuals interested in a contract or contract-to-hire engagement, and offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
This position is based in our home office located in Chicago’s River North neighborhood.
- Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop innovative, consumer-facing, and enterprise website and mobile solutions
- Demonstrate thought leadership in the application of technology to client needs, and communicate benefits at a high level
- Support and collaborate with clients, other developers, and designers to determine business and technical solutions
- Continually deliver creative solutions with awesome execution
- 3+ years of professional client-side website dev experience
- Production experience with React, and a thorough understanding of best practices and tooling options
Required Technical Skills
- An understanding of the component design pattern and how to apply it in a reusable way
- Active understanding of semantic HTML, the DOM, and document outlines
- Able to build website layouts to design without the aid of CSS frameworks
- Responsive design techniques using CSS media queries and flexible layouts
- Interacting with JSON APIs and an understanding of HTTP status codes
- Experience writing automated tests
Preferred Technical Skills
- Deploying native iOS or Android apps using React Native
- Implementation of state-management libraries like Redux
- Experience in other frameworks and tools like Angular and Vue.js
- Familiarity with Node.js and Express
- Continuous Integration using tools like Travis or Drone
- Devops experience on platforms like AWS or Azure
- Confident using GitHub and vanilla Git
- Literacy in the areas of user experience design and information architecture
- Other language and platform experience, Python, Go, .NET, etc.
- Active open source contributor
- Passionate about the application of technology, not just the writing of code
- Clear and effective communicator
- Advocate for early testing with complete code coverage
- Enjoys learning new technologies and helping fellow teammates
- Can translate industry developments into actionable client opportunities