Web Engineer at Sprout Social
Sprout Social is looking for an experienced Web Engineer to join our Brand Creative team to help deliver performant, accessible, and beautiful web experiences. Brand Creative is a highly collaborative team responsible for the building and maintaining of the systems and architecture used to support our web properties and internal tools. As a member of Brand Creative you will provide value by taking projects from ideation to implementation and collaborate closely with brand designers and marketers along the way.
Our software is used by more than 20,000+ customers worldwide including Evernote, Grubhub, Subaru and Edelman. These businesses rely on Sprout to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media. The experiences you build will help to directly impact our customer growth.
We're looking for a motivated full-stack developer with strong PHP and infrastructure knowledge. You should have experience with creating web pages as well as building tools to automate the experience. We're looking for someone who has developed custom WordPress plugins and themes, and worked on an API using a PHP framework such as Laravel. Ideally, you have set up some infrastructure within AWS or managed your own servers. If you have a passion for consistent web experiences with great user experience and are open to learning whatever technology is right for the job, we’d love to talk to you.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Work with your manager to define your career goals and formulate a plan to make progress towards them.
- Gain an understanding of the team’s roadmap and processes by having discussions with your team’s project manager.
- Meet your teammates in design, marketing, and project management and understand how Brand Creative plays a strategic role at Sprout.
- Learn how code is deployed to our end users through paired programming with web engineers on your team.
- Deliver business value by shipping your first code change and creating your first web page with active pairing/ mentoring from your teammates.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Deliver smaller, well-defined features from planning to deployment with guidance.
- Be familiar and comfortable with local development and deployment processes.
- Create new web pages and page components with minimal revisions.
- Pair with other web engineers to identify and fix production bugs by participating in your team’s on-call support rotation.
- Contribute to our PHP-based API to help end users receive the marketing resources they want more efficiently.
- Openly communicate with your teammates to deliver progress updates and set delivery expectations.
- Provide feedback in team activities, such as code review, estimation, planning technical design, requirements definition, and retrospectives.
- Contribute to shared codebases and documentation.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Partner with brand designers and marketing stakeholders to discuss the feasibility of implementing new designs and features.
- Participate in designing the technical details of a project and soliciting feedback from peers.
- Improve your estimation skills to provide more accurate measurements of effort when scoping out projects.
- Contribute to how we manage and maintain the infrastructure that houses our marketing properties.
- Regularly share what you’re learning during marketing development team meetings.
- Proposing technical or process improvements to be made within Brand Creative.
- Actively participate in code review and project milestone check-ins.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Begin improving the quality of existing code by refactoring, adding tests, and more.
- Learn to prioritize tasks, timebox, cut scope, and break larger user stories into smaller subtasks.
- Seek clarification and provide thoughtful and constructive feedback when vetting project requirements.
- Advocate for following best practices regarding web performance, accessibility, and user experience.
- Begin thinking systematically about the overall impact of our technical challenges.
- Provide mentorship to those who are not as well versed in the various parts of the technical stack.
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!