Engineering Manager, Retail Applications
SPINS, a Chicago-based SaaS company, is seeking a leader for our Retail Applications team.
By leveraging SPINS’ industry-leading proprietary data and analytics, our technology enables deeper, more engaged relationships between Retailers, Brands and Consumers through our platform, web, and mobile products.
WHO ARE WE?
- We eat collaboration and curiosity for breakfast
- We communicate quickly and succinctly
- We believe in roles instead of jobs
- We take initiative independently and hurdle challenges together
- We discuss, debate, decide and do with the same rapidity as we iterate our platform
- We are a talent ecosystem whose health is predicated on each individual’s ability to support every other individual’s success
WHO ARE YOU?
- Someone energetic, empathic and earnest
- Someone who wakes each morning thinking of which opportunity they will grab today
- Someone that refuses to give up when the path isn’t paved
- Someone that consistently delivers quality work on schedule
- Someone who would rather build the right tool to do the job than wait until they’re handed one
- A creative thinker as adept at looking at the Big Picture as they are at the details
- An obsessive perfectionist that knows when to put down the paintbrush and ship
- The kind of person that can expertly use an Onion headline as an analogy in a serious strategy meeting
WHAT DO WE NEED?
The mission of SPINS’ Retail Applications team is to reliably and consistently deliver complex and targeted analytical data as close to real time as possible and enable this data to be available anywhere, anytime for our retail partners and their customers. Behind the scenes, our retailer applications utilize state of the art distributed data processing technologies and ML algorithms to cleanse and transform retailer sales and products data into actionable insights in the cloud and
As the Engineering Manager for the Retail Applications team, you will be responsible for the building the team and delivering insights and analytics from retail sales and loyalty data and consumer facing mobile apps.
This position is based at the SPINS headquarters in Chicago’s River North district.
WHAT ARE YOUR REPONSIBILITIES?
- Lead a fast-paced team through every phase of the software development life cycle and mentor software engineers
- Shape, drive and be held accountable for delivering significant initiatives across the platform
- Establish an understanding of our customers’ business and technical needs to design and build top-notch product solutions
- Provide vision, define system and application architecture, problem anticipation and problem-solving ability across the landscape
- Provide input on the existing and new data deliverables so that they can be efficiently stored and queried by analytics and insights applications
- Actively stay informed of new and emerging BI, mobile and visualization trends
BONUS POINTS FOR EXPERIENCE:
- Technology architecture including Object Oriented Design and development in Java/J2EE
- Web Application Development (Spring MVC, GWT, Tomcat), Web Services (REST APIs) as well as front end development technologies.
- Mobile Development (iOS, Android, HTML5)
- Traditional (MySQL, Hibernate ORM) and NoSQL data stores (MongoDB, Cassandra) and data warehousing concepts
- Cloud technologies (GCP, AWS, Azure) and deployments using Docker, Kubernetes
- Software development best practices and expertise in associated tools (Maven, GIT, JUnit etc.)
- Iterative, agile software lifecycle, with strong ability to estimate/scope the design/development portion of projects with focus on quality and on-time delivery