Role: Accounting Manager, Billing
Reporting to: Controller
We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform is designed to help education and training organizations deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for users who are trying to advance their careers. We incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history, having achieved significant growth year-over-year and nearly doubling in employee size! The number of learners on our cloud-based learning platform has reached 6 million in 2019, up 30 percent versus the prior year.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts in our own office.
About the role:
Reporting to the Company’s Controller, Accounting Manager, Billing Operations is a key member of the Finance & Accounting team. In this role, you will make significant contributions in streamlining and scaling billing operations and improving cash collection cycle. You will work closely with the existing Finance & Accounting team, Revenue and Business Operations teams to build a strong foundation for our customer billing needs, lead planning and execution of billing project initiatives including billing system implementation, as well as identifying and driving related process improvements. This role provides the opportunity to work cross-functionally and grow in a fun and engaging environment.
Some challenges you’ll tackle:
- Ensure accurate and timely customers’ billing as well as efficient resolution of any invoicing issues or disputes.
- Manage collections efforts and own the entire order to cash cycle.
- Improve, monitor and enforce billing policies and procedures, and ensure they evolve appropriately as the company scales.
- Support selection and implementation of billing / revenue recognition systems. Drive continuous improvement in system capabilities and processes for billing and collection efforts focused on producing timely and accurate bills, and management of DSO metrics.
- Lead month-end closing of billing and accounts receivable, including related reconciliations.
- Develop, monitor and report on periodic KPIs related to billing and collections function to management.
- Collaborate with internal departments/contacts regarding billing questions, contracts, policies and processes.
- Support annual audit process as it relates to billing and AR inquiries, as well as effectiveness of related controls, policies, and procedures.
About the team: We are a growing team of dynamic Finance professionals responsible for the nuts and bolts of making BenchPrep tick. True to startup culture, we are strategic business partners who aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves to get the job done. We are inspired by a shared mission to help millions learn better and faster through our unique platform.
You should have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- 5+ years of combination of billing and accounting experience
- Recent billing experience in SaaS/recurring & variable usage billing (highly preferred)
- Strong analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively with cross functional teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and strong listening and interpersonal skills
- Expert Excel skills
- Knowledge of QuickBooks, NetSuite, Intacct and Zuora or equivalent ERPs and billing systems (preferred)
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard, eat well, and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We tend to eat our (free) lunch together - not because we have to, but because we want to. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We focus on flexibility - both in work/life balance, but also everyday in operating with agility. We care about professional development so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to build their skills. And of course, we have all the La Croix and snacks that you’d expect to keep you moving. It’s no wonder we were selected in Inc’s Best Workplaces of 2020 and Crain’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners.