Assistant Vice President, Financial Institutions
The Team: Morningstar Credit Ratings, LLC is a subsidiary of Morningstar, Inc. and a Nationally Recognized Statistical Rating Organization with a reputation for high-quality, investor-focused analysis. We specialize in credit research and ratings, which investors use to help identify credit risk. Our services include new-issue ratings and analysis, operational risk assessments, surveillance services, data, and technology solutions.
The Role: The Assistant Vice President of Financial Institutions will assume coverage of existing portfolio names including exchanges, asset managers, and insurance companies. Additionally, the individual will help develop and launch a ratings agency methodology covering Non-Bank Financial Institutions. This will be followed by reviewing and analyzing new issue deals and establishing credit coverage on a portfolio of credits. The position is based in Chicago.
- Work with MCR senior management to develop a credit rating methodology for the non-bank financial institutions sectors.
- Analyze new deals within the non-bank financial institutions sector, build models, and write up credit committee memos while presenting credits to the credit committee.
- Maintain ongoing surveillance of assigned credits including updated credit reports and financial models as necessary.
- Interview company management teams to understand individual credit drivers.
- Utilize and help train junior analysts in the analytical process.
- Participate in meetings with bankers and investors to educate market participants on MCR’s rating methodology.
- Produce thought leading research on the non-bank financial institutions space which highlight MCR’s expertise in the subject matter.
- Contribute to the credit team in other ways including enhancing the research product and process, developing into a voting member of the credit committee, and assuming responsibility for special projects.
- 3-5 years of experience performing credit analysis on non-bank financial institutions, preferably including insurance companies.
- A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably with a focus on accounting or finance. MBA or CFA preferred.
- Rating agency experience preferred but not required.
- Strong accounting skills.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to speak comfortably with company managers and institutional investors.
- The ability to make timely decisions under tight deadlines, sometimes with incomplete information.
- Strong excel modeling skills and familiarity with Bloomberg.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.