Associate Portfolio Manager at Morningstar
Associate Portfolio Manager, Workplace Investment Team
The Group: The Investment Management group is guided by Morningstar’s investment principles focused on delivering great long-term investment results to help end-investors reach their financial goals. We use our expertise in asset allocation, research, investment selection and portfolio construction to create world-class investment strategies leveraging the full resources of Morningstar. The Investment Management group consists of our Managed Portfolios and Workplace Solutions teams. The Workplace group offers a range of retirement investment solutions, including target-date CITs, custom target-date portfolios, retirement managed accounts and advice service by acting in a fiduciary capacity; IFE, 3(28), or 3(21) capacity. The broader Workplace investment management team works in conjunction with the capital markets team, research team, the Advice Engines team, the operations team, and the Workplace client services team to build and manage multi-asset, well-diversified portfolios for retirement clients.
The Role: The Portfolio Management team requires an experienced investment professional to assist and contribute to the Workplace investment management team. The Associate Portfolio Manager will report to the head of target-date strategies. This position requires a person who possesses extensive investment knowledge, familiarity with the retirement industry and experience with driving investment results. You will work closely with a team to leverage expertise and global investment capabilities to deliver better investing outcomes to investors saving for retirement. This role will be based in our Chicago office.
• Construct glidepaths that meet all relevant objectives and unique demographics of our plan sponsor clients by leveraging our Total Wealth Investment philosophy.
• Manage target-date portfolios, providing manager selection and monitoring, and build asset class exposures that reflect the asset class team’s views and Morningstar’s capital market assumptions.
• Manage plan sponsor and plan participant client relationships, communicate project goals and status updates externally, and act as key investment resource on an ongoing basis.
• Participate in the management of client engagement, which includes identifying client investment needs, analyzing investment options, proposing investment solutions, and solving operational issues.
• Conduct rigorous due diligence on potential investments and closely monitor portfolio positions.
• Communicate (both orally and in writing) the strategy, positioning, and performance of portfolios to internal and external audience, including 401k investment committees.
• Assist in the development of new or extended client engagements.
• Research and develop new investment products and approaches.
• Deep knowledge of Morningstar’s philosophy and approach to investing
• Passion for investing and penchant for in depth research and analysis
• Extensive knowledge of capital markets, investment strategies, and alternative investments
• Excellent critical thinking skills for investing, preferably with a focus on modern portfolio theory concepts and processes
• Familiarity with a range of quantitative tools and research platforms
• Demonstrated effectiveness in a team-based environment—adept with articulating ideas, respectfully challenging others, and mentoring team members
• Experience in producing excellent written materials for clients, media and journals.
• Experience in acting as an expert spokesman to clients and external stakeholders
• 7+ years of hands-on investment experience
• Graduate degree education preferred, particularly an MBA or CFA designation
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
002_MIMLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity