The Senior Internal Auditor will play a key role, under the direction of the VP, Internal Audit, in leading and executing the Company’s audit plan, including its SOX compliance plan, operational audits and certain advisory engagements. This role requires strong audit knowledge, effective communication skills, solid business acumen, be able to work in a fluid, changing environment and have strong risk identification and control knowledge. The senior internal auditor will be working closely with other internal auditors, including the Company’s internal audit co-source provider.
This person will assist in developing and executing comprehensive audit programs that are responsive to the operational, financial, and control risks across all divisions and subsidiaries of Tribune Publishing Company.
- Lead all activities within assigned projects including communicating with business unit or functional management, establishing project milestones and deadlines, monitoring the progress of audit fieldwork, reporting progress to audit management, and proposing modifications to current procedures to improve audit effectiveness and efficiency.
- Work with co-source internal audit provider on key SOX activities or other audit activities, including but not limited to planning, scoping, risk assessment, audit plan, walkthroughs, testing procedures and evaluation of control deficiencies.
- Work with external auditors, performing certain audit procedures for their reliance, during year-end audit.
- Conduct internal audit procedures, compile audit findings, document and recommend remediation plans, and complete work papers in compliance with IIA standards as needed for financial, operational and compliance audits (including SOX-404).
- Draft complete audit reports that clearly and concisely describe issues identified (implications to the business unit and company as a whole) and provide value-added recommendations to improve the effectiveness or efficiency of controls/business processes.
- Serve as a business advisor and partner to business unit and senior management, providing risk identification and advisory assistance with complex, unusual or new business transactions, strategic initiatives, and/or business process changes.
- Contribute to the positive and team-oriented culture by maintaining cooperative and collaborative relationships (assisting other teams when necessary), facilitating the resolution of conflicts, sharing information, and accepting and providing feedback.
- Make oral or written presentations to management during and at the conclusion of the audit, discussing deficiencies and recommending corrective actions and process improvements.
- Perform timely follow-up on the status of outstanding internal audit issues.
- Work independently with limited direct supervision, but also be able to work closely with other team members, despite being in different locations.
- Participate in special projects as requested by management.
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is necessary.
- At least 3-5 years of Financial/Operational Audit and SOX experience
- Preferably have experience working with a big 4 CPA firm
- A plus to have at least one of the following certifications; Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Knowledge of accounting, finance and internal control areas is required, as is comprehension of internal auditing standards, generally accepted accounting principles, SOX, COSO and risk-assessment practices.
- In-depth knowledge of business processes, as well as process controls and risks, and understand how this relates to relevant audit procedures
- Solid business acumen
- Possess strong project management abilities as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead change and have experience working in a fluid, changing environment
- Possess strong analytical skills and demonstrate ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions and solve problems
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple priorities in a deadline-driven environment
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint
- Travel is less than 25%