Brokerage Operations Associate at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $2 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say. “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a Brokerage Operations Associate to work on our Operations team and assist the Brokerage Operations Manager with the day-to-day and high-level strategic goals of the M1 Invest product. This role will focus primarily on the processing, organizing, and responding to the customers that are transferring accounts into M1 and taking on projects to enhance the M1 Invest product and internal processes.
The Brokerage Operations Associate will be responsible for the success of M1 Invest. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about personal finance and committed to the mission of changing the future of the industry. There is a lot of potential to grow in this role to take on more responsibilities as the company grows. Self-starters, creative problem solvers, and data-driven individuals will thrive in this role. Diversity is important to us and unique perspectives are welcome.
What You'll Do:
- Collect, review and process paperwork for account transfers into and out of M1 Invest from other brokerage firms. This includes owning the full process and finding ways to improve, streamline to scale as M1 grows.
- Critical thinking towards problem-solving to develop an appropriate course of action to "fix" errors & problems.
- Acting as a liaison between the Registered Representatives in the Client Success team and the Brokerage Operations team
- Courteous customer service (via phone and email) and effective communication with registered representatives, clients, clearing firm associates, and new and existing clients.
- Opening and processing of new account documents
- Execute on ad hoc projects that require comfort with numbers to make informed decisions.
- Development and maintenance of internal training and customer facing support articles on Brokerage processes in partnership with the Broker Operations Manager.
- 1-3 year of brokerage operations experience
- Series 7, 63/66, a plus
- SQL experience, a plus
- Experience developing processes, meeting deadlines, and paying close attention to detail
- Analytical, metrics and data-driven mindset
- Experience in a fast-paced, high-activity environment
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to work cross-functionally and communicate with leadership
- Proven project management skills
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits ofour actions
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym