Role: Chief Financial Officer
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
BenchPrep is a pioneer in the certification training space, digitally transforming professional learning for credentialing bodies, professional associations, and training companies for over a decade. With an award-winning, learner-centric, cloud-based certification training platform, BenchPrep enables organizations to drive learning outcomes and increase revenue. The world’s leading certification training companies use BenchPrep to drive academic and professional success for more than 7 million learners.
We’re committed to helping people learn better, and that starts with our own people.
About the role:
We are seeking a strategic Chief Financial Officer to join our growing team. As our Chief Financial Officer, you will act as a strategic partner to the CEO. You will play a key role in maximizing enterprise value by developing, monitoring and evaluating overall corporate financial strategy alongside the CEO. You will have primary responsibility for all of BenchPrep’s financial activities and will help inform business decisions and executive strategy by providing excellent financial insight to achieve our growth goals. You should have experience working as a CFO in a privately held, high growth, entrepreneurial software organization, having managed all aspects of the finance function. You will interact with all parts of the team and act as a strategic advisor to not only the CEO but the Board and entire executive team being able to provide financial information and operational analytics. Finally, you care deeply and align similarly to our core values. This role can be performed locally from our Chicago-based headquarters, or remotely.
How you’ll contribute (but not limited to):
- Be a strategic partner to the CEO by helping to develop and monitor the company’s strategy using financial information and operational analytics
- Develop and scale the company’s infrastructure to meet performance goals and targets within established budgets and timelines
- Drive performance across the business, through the creation of key performance indicators for our various departments
- Manage and review preparation of timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis to the board, leadership team and company
- Improve and automate FP&A processes, as well as KPI and financial performance reporting against company targets and goals
- Provide prudent management and oversight of company balance sheet and assets
- Take complete ownership of legal and regulatory compliance
- Develop a long-term capital plan for the business
- Drive M&A strategy; deliver financial analysis and insights to help drive structural and investment decisions
- Maintain oversight and control of diverse business operations, through capitalizing on excellent interpersonal skills, business acumen, high degree of integrity, and an exemplary work ethic
**Skills and experiences we value:
- 10+ years of financial leadership and operations experience, at a rapidly growing organization
- Experience working in a software start-up environment (SaaS experience preferred)
- Proven experience leading debt and equity financing and M&A transactions
- A record of success in improving processes and leading department growth
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, handle and prioritize simultaneous requests, and manage lateral and upwards
- Experience leading and managing a team with the ability to support, mentor and develop employees with in-depth knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices in the software space
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to exercise considerable judgement and discretion inbuilding, and maintaining effective relationships with the leadership team, specifically our Revenue leader(s).
**Note: We know that excellent candidates can have all sorts of backgrounds and experiences, so please don’t hesitate to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the listed requirements! And check out our latest blog post to learn more about inclusion at BenchPrep in the Engineering team."
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day we have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We care about learning so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to develop their skills so they can continue to operate everyday with new skills. It’s no wonder we were selected in Inc’s Best Workplaces of 2020 and Crain’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners. Join us.