Chief Financial Officer
Hello, We’re Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston and Seattle.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
We’re looking for a Chief Financial Officer
We are seeking a strategic partner to the CEO to have primary responsibility for all of Built In’s financial activities. You will play a key role in developing, monitoring and evaluating overall corporate strategy alongside the CEO with an emphasis on top, and bottom line, performance. You will be tasked with providing useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy while maintaining financial infrastructure required for rapid growth. You will interact with all parts of the company and be viewed as a trusted advisor to not only the CEO but the Board and entire executive team being able to provide financial information and operational analytics while driving a culture of accountability.
The ideal candidate for the position will have prior CFO experience in a high growth, entrepreneurial company and will have managed all aspects of the finance function. Prior experience in finance and accounting positions in larger organizations is also a plus, as is experience working closely with private investors, including completing an exit, either through M&A or an initial public offering.
How you’ll contribute
- Be a strategic partner to the CEO by helping to develop and monitor the company’s strategy using financial information and operational analytics.
- Drive performance across the business, with a focus on the bottom line, through the creation of key metrics for all departments.
- Create and present relevant financial updates to the Board at quarterly meetings.
- Develop and scale the company’s infrastructure to meet agreed upon performance goals and targets within established budgets and timelines.
- Automate processes and systems to achieve efficiency gains and quality improvements on a sequential basis.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance
- Improve and systematize FP&A processes, as well as KPI and financial performance reporting against company targets and goals
- Providing prudent management and oversight of company balance sheet and assets
- Partner with each business leader to help them more effectively use finance to improve their effectiveness and distinguish worthwhile projects from lower-priority, less strategic distractions.
- Develop industry-specific and company-specific metrics that track performance across the business and encourage the prudent use of assets and other resources
- Manage and review Finance department personnel's preparation of timely and detailed reports on financial performance on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Lead the efforts to develop a long-term capital plan for the business.
- Provide due diligence support when necessary; and keep financial models up to date
What you need
- 10+ years of financial leadership experience, at least 3 years of experience leading the finance function for a rapidly growing organization
- Record of success in improving processes and leading department growth
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, handle and prioritize simultaneous requests, and manage lateral and upwards
- In-depth knowledge of corporate finance and accounting principles, laws and best practices
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, swiftly-changing startup-like environment.
- Experience leading and managing a team with the ability to support, mentor and develop employees.
- An analytical mind with a strategic ability
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Experience with Intacct is a plus
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.