We’re seeking a Controller for our fast-growing business at the intersection of real estate and technology. In this role, you will be responsible for the accounting operations of the company as directed by the Vice President of Finance. This includes the production of periodic financial reports and maintenance of accounting records and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
In addition to accounting, you’ll also be responsible for our annual audit, tax, working with HR, contract administration, risk management and the enforcement of all financial policies and procedures.
Neighborhoods.com is the first online real estate resource to put the neighborhood at the center of the home search. Our platforms, 55places.com and Neighborhoods.com, invite users to imagine their life in a new area by providing a local’s perspective, including detailed descriptions and resident reviews of schools, amenities, and the surrounding community.
At Neighborhoods.com, we’re all about transparency. Continuous improvement is one of our core values. If you’re a finance professional looking for a company where you can have a real impact and be part of an award-winning culture, we want to hear from you!
What you’ll be doing as our Controller:
- Own the day-to-day accounting operations
- Drive the monthly close process and accounting efficiencies
- Partner with FP&A to present financial results and various performance analyses
- Own Company accounting policies, U.S. GAAP-based financial disclosure preparation, and annual audit
- Ensure Federal, state, and local tax planning and compliance
- Partner with our business teams to interpret complex or unique contract provisions or new revenue initiatives and special projects
- Manage audit, banking, tax and other service provider relationships
- Work closely with FP&A to facilitate timely budget and planning processes
- Implement and maintain effective internal controls and safeguards over company assets, receipt of revenue, payments of authorized expenses, compliance with contractual obligations, and compliance with company policies
- Understand and implement systems of automation to streamline accounting and reporting processes
Requirements to do the job:
- BS in Accounting
- Audit background, preferably in a Big 4 firm; CPA required
- 6+ years of experience in progressive roles leading and building an accounting organization
- Strong background in growth-stage Software/Internet businesses
- Broad-based operational experience covering all aspects of the monthly and annual close and financial reporting processes
- Outstanding technical accounting acumen and understanding of new accounting pronouncements
- Experience with integrated systems including Salesforce, FinancialForce, and QuickBooks Online, and expense reporting software
- Strong quantitative analysis capabilities
- High integrity and personal ethics
- Excellent project management and organizational skills and unparalleled attention to detail
- Strong leadership, team building, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to partner productively in a cross-functional capacity
- Self-motivated and result oriented mentality
- The standards: insurance, 401k with match, flexible PTO, and casual dress code
- Paid parental leave
- Pre-tax commuter program
- West Loop neighborhood (easy commute and lots of food options)
- Volunteer and charity opportunities
- Cold-brew coffee on tap
- Transparent and approachable leadership and management
- Catered Lunch & Learn programs
- You will help people on the journey to making one of the single biggest decisions of their life
Neighborhoods.com is an equal opportunity employer for people from all different backgrounds. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to ethnicity, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, or age. We strive to foster an inclusive environment that is comfortable for everyone. We will not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.