Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
As the Corporate Tax Manager, you will have a unique opportunity to be a single point of contact with our 3rd party tax firms for all tax matters. With assistance from the tax firms, you will be responsible for designing and implementing Upwork’s tax structure in collaboration with key stakeholders in the broader organization with an emphasis on domestic and international transactional tax in the marketplace space.
- Oversee global tax management and compliance including coordination of the timely and accurate preparation of the federal and state tax returns as well as income tax provisions by working with a 3rd party tax consulting firm.
- Perform analysis of strategic tax initiatives by working with a 3rd party tax consulting firm and develop both domestic and international indirect tax strategy. The indirect taxes include sales/use tax as well as VAT/GST on our platform.
- Manager various tax related projects including 382 study, R&D study, and international tax structure planning.
- Review the enterprise contract for the tax related matters.
- Provide advice to the internal business partners on indirect tax matters which freelancers and/or clients on our platform may have.
- Keep informed of changes in tax legislation in e-Commerce.
- Assist in communicating to cross functional teams of new tax policies and procedures.
- Responsible for reviewing the income tax related footnote disclosure based on US GAAP on the Form 10-K/10-Q.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- CPA strongly preferred
- 10+ years of experience in public accounting and industry required
- Relevant work experience in US and international tax research and compliance
- Ability to produce timely deliverables and manage multiple and shifting priorities in a dynamic environment
- Self-motivated with great attention to detail, project management and organizational skills and demonstrates strong ownership of tasks
- Strong command of written, verbal and presentation and research skills
- Ability to work with all levels of employees and cross functional groups, results driven with high level of integrity
- Scale and process-oriented with high attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
- Intermediate+ level experience with Microsoft Excel and major ERP
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.