Data Driven Sr. Accountant (Revenue Accounting)
Meeting Tomorrow is the behind-the-scenes magic that makes events run smoothly, from small sales meetings to massive conferences. We provide technology, audio visual equipment, and production expertise for more than 10,000 events every year nationwide. Based in Chicago’s Albany Park neighborhood, we’re a group of 100 friendly, hard-working people plus a few office dogs and a slew of beloved plants. We’re all about building a culture of respect and affection, and we offer the chance to thrive in an uplifting workplace with the best coworkers ever. Our full benefits include fully paid parental leave, 401K matching, free gym memberships, and tons of opportunities to grow your skills and career.
At a high level, the Revenue Accountant will be responsible for overseeing all of Meeting Tomorrow's revenue cycle transactions. This is more than your typical Accounts Receivable position - in the beginning you'll help us better manage our AR, and in time this accounting role will expand into other phases of the revenue cycle and cash flow forecasting.
- Process invoices and generate the revenue in our ERP, NetSuite
- Process, apply, and deposit customer payments and refund requests
- Correspond with customers and internal staff, with a focus on managing the accounts receivables
- Analyze and prepare a schedule for bad debt reserve
- Process credit card disputes
- Compile and report on key metrics, such as general revenue, additional revenue, credit memos, and refunds
- Ensure revenue is being recognized at the correct time, calculate deferred revenue, and help to enact the revenue recognition process before year end
- Gather credit applications and contact references
This is a fast-paced and quickly changing environment, so there will be other projects and responsibilities as assigned.
Who you are:
We believe someone with at least 3 years of expereince in revenue cycle accounting will be the most successful in this role, however what's most important for us is someone who is well rounded in the field of accounting, a quick learner, and has the ability to be a client advocate and uphold what's best for Meeting Tomorrow at the same time.
Hungry for Knowledge. You're a genuinely curious person and love digging for details.
Customer Mindset. You enjoy talking to customers of all backgrounds and can cater to different communication styles.
Process Focused. We're looking for someone who can be a thought partner with leadership on building out processes and isn't afraid to raise issues in a proactive way.
Detail Obsessed. We work with hundreds of clients and vendors, so it's important you're able to keep track of each account's unique details.
Flexible. You love supporting your team and are able to adapt to the needs of the business.
Growth-Mindset. You thrive on feedback and making improvements based on it.
The impact you'll make:
Within 1 month, you'll
- Understand MT's company culture and be able to navigate different communication and work styles
- Acclimate to NetSuite and MT's Accounting processes
- Take over the day to day responsibilities of payment processing and customer deposits
- Develop relationships with the internal Event Management team and gain understanding of the intersection between your relationship with clients and theirs
- Learn the current weekly accounts receivable process and tracking sheets
Within 3 months, you'll
- Provide accurate information regarding our AR aging and have recommendations for improving
- Be able to suggest process improvements for client communication in regards to their contractual payment arrangements
- Have researched best practices for data driven credit approvals and worked with the Accounting Manager to implement the best possible solution
- Take over weekly forecasting of MT's cash flow and be able to continue the current processes for tracking
Within 6 months, you'll
- Work independently on day to day duties of reporting, processing, tracking and corresponding with internal staff regarding all things related to incoming revenue
- Acting as the right hand person to Event Managers and the Accounting Manager by significantly reducing communication roadblocks surrounding client & Event Manager communication, in regards to invoices and payment expectations
- Audit and work with the Accounting Manager to update the forecasting of MT's cash flow and be able to accurately predict what revenue is coming in and when
At Meeting Tomorrow, our mission is to foster a culture of respect and affection. We embrace our differences and are committed to having an inclusive environment. We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA, veterans, persons with disabilities and all others to apply.
What makes Meeting Tomorrow’s culture so special is the people, and we look for candidates who are a match for our company’s core values: commitment, kindness and humility. If those words describe you and you see yourself in this posting, you’re ready to apply!