Director, Business Strategy – Enterprise Technology at Discover
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America’s cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation’s leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Director, Business Strategy – Enterprise Technology (ET) will serve as the key strategy lead and advisor to the Chief Data Officer and ET leadership team, reporting directly to the Senior Vice President, Chief Data Officer. The person in this role will provide a broad array of day-to-day and special project responsibilities, act as the primary liaison with Enterprise Technology to ensure alignment, and be expected to deliver logistical support and thought leadership for many of the activities within Enterprise Technology (e.g., managing weekly huddle and problem solving meetings, participating in business unit scorecard and process reviews, organizing and conducting strategy sessions, and coordinating the creation of Executive Committee, Board-level, Rating Agency, Investor and Regulatory presentations). In addition, this person will coordinate and lead activities to support employee communications, culture and engagement.
- Strategic thought leadership / special project support.
- Support the SVP and partner with leadership team in preparing periodic presentations (e.g., DFS Board, Bank Board, Executive Committee, Rating Agency, Investors, Regulators, etc.).
- Provide overall direction and support of Enterprise Technology major BT projects by partnering with business and BT teams to define, prioritize, pursue, and monitor initiatives required to achieve our objectives.
- Partner with Finance and provide data to help monitor and optimize business unit-level performance including efficiency opportunities, headcount management and views on discretionary spending targets.
- Cross-unit collaboration within Enterprise Technology, including goal setting and alignment through close collaboration with all business partners and support functions.
- Facilitate integration and partnership efforts across the organization to ensure optimal and collective use of resources and capabilities.
- Enterprise Technology ambassador, main point of contact for interactions with internal groups such as Corporate Communications, Investor Relations, Treasury, Community Affairs and other business units across DFS, in addition to closely partnering with counterpart in Card Operations.
- Serve as the Enterprise Technology point person for various employee communication and corporate initiatives: Town Hall, All-Hands, Employee Opinion Survey, Employee Recognition, Presidents Plate, Discover Cares, Off-site meetings, All Employee outings, etc.
- Partner with ET HR business partners to develop and implement initiatives to broadly support talent and career development for the organization, and support company-wide programs
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- 10+ years of professional experience in an analytically-oriented environment, a strategy consulting firm, PMO, or a financial/strategic planning function
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, and able to synthesize detailed information into a storyline that is appropriate for the intended audience
- Highly capable project and initiative leader with emphasis on process improvement and solving complex problems
- Demonstrated strength in issue identification, directing and performing quantitative analysis, and effectively synthesizing complex data into key insights
- Demonstrated ability to drive action and influence with authority across all levels and operate effectively with tight deadlines
- Industry experience in financial services, exposure to Discover legacy CSCM a strong plus
- Ability to operate effectively and independently with high degree of ambiguity
- High level of business maturity, discretion and confidentiality
- Thought leadership and intellectual curiosity
- Proven ability to apply a general management mindset to a complex operating environment, synthesizing complex, and possibly conflicting, information into key insights
- Ability to work effectively cross-functionally with all levels of employees and management, as well as drive decision making with senior officers
- Process management and organizational discipline with ability to prioritize
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software: Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.