Director of Finance at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $3 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking to add a high impact, strategic leader of our FP&A function in this newly created role. You’ll start by taking responsibility for laying the foundation by implementing best in class technologies and processes for budgeting, forecasting, and business partnership. You will also be an adept communicator and collaborator who can establish a strong partnership with leaders across the business. This is the role for a multiplier: someone who does the work of one but creates the outcomes of three plus.
What You’ll do
- Establish and up-level every aspect of forecasting and budgeting: implement best practice processes & policies, automate wherever possible, implement new systems & financial models, and streamline stakeholder financial reporting
- Grab ownership of translating our strategic growth initiatives into informed, carefully articulated financial plans. You will partner closely with general managers and product managers, and act as a business-line CFO
- Partner with your accounting, analytics, and operating colleagues to ensure your collective work is creating transformative business intelligence and measurable future business outcomes
- Be a member of the CFO’s Leadership team, currently a group of 4 leaders who roll up their sleeves and get things done alongside their direct reports today, but will be responsible for leveling-up their involvement as the company & team grows
- Hire, train, and develop a top performing finance team that grows along with the overall business
- 7+ years of total experience with at least 4+ years as a high-impact finance leader or analyst for a high-growth startup; pre-IPO B2C and/or FinTech experience a strong plus
- Proven background of implementing and/or owning best in class budgeting and forecasting systems and processes
- Demonstrated leadership of a high functioning finance organization and track record of evolving systems, processes, and controls for a fast-growing company
- Ability to lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams, utilize outstanding influencing skills, and demonstrate strong senior-level communication
- Ability to prioritize effectively in a high-paced, fast-changing, and unstructured work environment
- Analytical and creative problem solver with a flexible approach which can accommodate evolving business needs
- Aptitude for financial and business storytelling and narrative building, demonstrated through creation or significant contribution to the investor and other stakeholder financial presentations
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym