Director of Finance at PEAK6 (Chicago, IL)
We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
The Director of Finance for PEAK6 Capital Management (CapMan) is a hands-on leader of the accounting team, and the primary person acting as the Financial Operations Principal (FINOP) for the regulated Broker-Dealer. In this role, you will be responsible for directing the day to day accounting functions including the monthly closing of the books, regulatory reporting, validating the net income, invoice review, compensation, and department budgets. This person will also be expected to build and present reports on the financial status of CapMan for senior leadership review and lead internal as well as any external audits that will arise.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Leading the daily and monthly accounting processes and staff of the CapMan finance team; managing non-US based finance staff
- Prepare and oversee all necessary daily, monthly (FOCUS), quarterly, and annual regulatory financial filings with our primary SRO’s, ensuring accuracy and timely financial reporting
- Maintaining daily reserve and capital requirements
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget
- Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Oversee and coordinate the month end close
- Manage accounts payable and receivable, reviewing large payables and authorizing ACH and wire disbursements/payments
- Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow
- Supervising T&E reimbursement process and policies
- Prepares and presents financial results to the senior leadership
- Act as the primary liaison to prime broker relationships for the finance team
- Serve as a key point of contact for internal and external auditors, while managing the preparation and support of all audit
- Identify and enact policies and procedures that result in better operational workflows for the finance team, while maintaining the highest regulatory and accounting best practices
- Participate in strategic or regulatory projects that involve the finance team
- Engage with Operations, Risk, Corporate Accounting Shared Services, and Compliance to service the needs of the CapMan business
While you’ll gain experience in this role, you should already have:
- Minimum of 5 years of broker-dealer financial accounting and reporting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business; or equivalent years of experience
- Series 27 - Financial and Operations Principal Certification (FINOP) with a clean U4
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
- Strong knowledge of GAAP accounting and ability to perform technical accounting research as required
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and NetSuite preferred
- Experience with international accounting practices will be a major plus in this role (not required)
- Ability to manage at a high level in a dynamic global organization with multiple or changing mandates in multiple regions
- Self-starter with strong organizational and communication skills
- Desire to be a hands-on manager and work collaboratively with the operations group, senior leadership, trading, and risk
- Exposure to complex and an understanding of complex investment products.
*Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, PEAK6 has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles will not be remote long-term and will return to a hybrid office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.
*PEAK6 currently requires all employees as a condition of employment to either be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or submit to regular testing. The CDC defines "fully vaccinated" as two weeks after the second dose for Pfizer and Moderna, and two weeks after the single dose of Johnson & Johnson. PEAK6 will also require proof of vaccination and/or testing. PEAK6 will also consider requests for exemption from these requirements as a reasonable accommodation for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs