Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Discover has grown to become one of the top five direct banks in the United States since its founding in 1986, and today is well positioned to pursue its vision to be the leading direct bank and payments partner. The company issues the Discover card and is a leader in other banking products that include private student loans, personal and home equity loans, checking and savings accounts, as well as certificates of deposit. It also operates the Discover Global Network, which is comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance around the world.
Discover has established a strong track record of performance since becoming an independent, publicly traded company in 2007. For 10 years, it was the top-performing stock in the S&P 500 Financials Index and the company has grown total loans from $48 billion in 2007 to $96 billion in 2019, deposits from $25 billion to $73 billion, network volume from $186 billion to $403 billion, and net income from $0.6 billion to $2.9 billion.
Discover’s performance is driven by 18,000+ employees who are united by shared values and who are committed to making a difference every day for our customers, owners, communities and one another. Thanks to these employees, Discover receives awards and recognition year-in and year-out for innovative products and features, workplace quality, corporate citizenship, and for providing an industry leading customer experience based on 100% U.S.-based customer service.
The Director, Cost Management is a newly created position within Discover’s CFO organization. This leader will establish a cost management program and act as a strategic partner to the business as we work to optimize cost across all functions and spend categories. The leader will develop a review cadence, KPIs and analytics to help guide funding decisions. Developing partnerships with HR on resource planning and with Procurement on vendor savings will be critical.
- Set-up a cost management program at Discover; including development of KPIs, performance tracking and opportunity identification
- Develop and analyze metrics that help drive efficiency opportunities
- Play critical role in the budget and forecast processes, setting targets and identifying critical initiatives that will enable target delivery
- Conduct continuous benchmarking and launch improvement initiatives in partnership with Functional Budget Owners as organization changes are executed (developing appropriate value capture & synergy targets)
- Identify opportunity and guide decision making to progress the companies long range efficiency goals
- Develop trusted relationships, share insights and influence Executives to implement strategic and operational recommendations
- Partner with sourcing and line of business finance teams identify incremental supplier savings projects (across sourcing/negotiation, process optimization, and demand management) on our $2.6B supplier spending
- Own ongoing vendor savings validation process
- Partner with the business and procurement to optimize Discover’s third-party system spend; ensuring linkage to the broad strategic technology roadmap
- Drive spend accountability across Discovers owned and leased worldwide sites
- Collaborate with business partners to achieve strong results by fostering a culture of innovation, accountability, commitment, and shared success
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business or related. Master’s in Business administration or Finance degree highly preferred
- 8+ years of planning, financial analysis, strategy or related experience required
- Strong analytical skills
- Has superb written and verbal communication skills
- Track record as a trusted advisor and business partner - driving business insights, actions, and accountability, with a customer service-oriented attitude
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.