The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We are looking for a director of Underwriting to join us in transforming the way risk selection is done versus the historical methods of a typical insurance company. Since we tackle insurance differently, we are looking for this individual to bring their expertise and knowledge to the team while also working to innovate and continually find more effective and efficient ways to get the job done.
You’ll have the opportunity to manage a team of amazing underwriters and develop a strategy on how the underwriting group will operate as Kin expands into new states and product lines. This position will work closely with our insurance product team as well as our operations team to create and enforce underwriting guidelines and ensure all needed teams have the necessary information to do their job well. In addition, you’ll have a unique opportunity to integrate analytics and automation into the historically manual process of assessing risk.
A day in the life could include:
- Collaborating with the insurance product team on developing underwriting guidelines for future state and product expansion
- Managing a team of highly skilled underwriters, and develop a training program for onboarding new underwriters
- Responsibility for underwriting operations CAC (customer acquisition cost), tracking progress, and projecting the impact of future initiatives on KPIs
- Developing, proposing, and implementing a strategy for organizing the underwriting department to optimize operations for expansion into new states and product lines
- Continued innovation of inspection strategy to reduce the need for physical inspections, lower underwriting data costs, and improve the customer experience
- Evaluation and recommendation of potential vendors to perform or enhance underwriting processes and procedures
- Strong collaboration with the analytic & technology departments to develop innovative solutions to improve underwriting processes
- Developing and advising on changes to existing underwriting guidelines
- Communicating underwriting roadmap and progress of initiatives to all areas of the organization, up to and including the executive leadership
I’ve got the skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 10 years+ Personal Lines work experience in underwriting, preferably in catastrophe-prone geographies
- 5 years+ experience managing operations teams, developing both individual contributors and people leaders
- Deep understanding of policy forms, and the role and impact of actuarial, finance and claims in the underwriting process
- Experience working with technology and analytic teams
- Proven track record of managing underwriting KPIs (ops CAC, P&L, etc…), and working with business intelligence to monitor and track progress
- Excellent interpersonal skills and critical thinking
- Analytical minded and data-driven
- Strong communication and persuasion skills
- Understanding carrier guidelines and managing underwriting relationships
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- 16 days PTO, 2 Floating Holidays & Federal Holidays (Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, etc.)
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.