Equity Portfolio Manager
The Group: The Investment Management group is guided by Morningstar’s investment principles focused on delivering great long-term investment results to help end-investors reach their financial goals. We use our expertise in asset allocation, research, investment selection and portfolio construction to create world-class investment strategies leveraging the full resources of Morningstar, Inc. Through our investment offerings, we serve financial advisers and institutions, and the investors that they serve.
The Role: The Investment Management group is looking to add an experienced investment professional to join the team as a Portfolio Manager, reporting to the Head of U.S. Equity Strategies. The PM would join a five-member portfolio management team. Our team believes in building focused portfolios, with most strategies targeting 20-40 stocks. As of December 31, 2017, combined AUM for our equity strategies totaled approximately $4.3 billion. This role will be based in our Chicago office.
• Aside from portfolio management responsibilities for a specific strategy, the PM would contribute to the team’s research effort by serving as a lead analyst for a few sectors, highlighting potential stock ideas and coordinating research with Morningstar Inc. research analysts, including monthly conference calls.
• Participate in the peer review process, which includes provide feedback to other PMs on prospective trades, portfolio positioning, etc.
• The portfolio manager would also provide support to sales and marketing efforts, including serving as an advocate for our investment principles and approach within and outside of our organization.
• Communication with clients of the Select Equity Portfolios, including writing quarterly commentaries, participating in webinars, due diligence events with advisors, etc.
• Alignment with Morningstar’s philosophy and approach to investing in equities
• Demonstrated passion for investing and penchant for in-depth research and analysis
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Excellent interpersonal skills, history of working as a team-player
• Excellent critical thinking skills, preferably with a focus on company analysis and valuation
• Experience in acting as a spokesperson to clients and external stakeholders
• Familiarity with a range of quantitative tools and research platforms
• Minimum of 10 years in the financial services industry, with a strong preference for relevant experience as a buy-side analyst, sell-side equity research analyst, and/or portfolio manager
• Bachelor's degree, preferably with a major in finance, accounting, or economics
• CFA and/or MBA is a plus
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
002_MIMLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity