Finance Manager at ThoughtWorks
ThoughtWorks is a Private Equity backed a global software consultancy solving complex
problems with technology for a diverse range of clients from media through banking to NGOs.
With offices in fourteen countries we’re passionate global citizens, aiming to have a huge impact
on the world. This role is based in our Chicago office.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Accounting, the Finance Manager will partner with
Business Unit and Operational Leaders to drive profitable growth. Leveraging your team you
will measure and analyze commercial and operational performance, communicate cost
implications and return on investment, as well as provide forward-looking financial visibility to
drive or influence business decisions.
The Finance Manager will pursue continuous improvement in reporting of revenues, cost, and
KPIs as well as provide insightful analyses for the business to understand performance and the
levers available to improve performance. Specifically, you will have a focus on evolving the
commercial construct and driving client gross margin improvement within your assigned
Additional responsibilities include:
● Ownership of Business Unit Revenue Recognition, including review of staff work, any
required calculation, reconciliation, journal entries or other assistance required during
month end close as needed to ensure proper revenue accounting (on the Income
Statement and Balance Sheet).
● Close collaboration with the NA Controller and participation in monthly and quarterly
financial close process and cash flow forecasts
● Creation and presentation of client profitability reports and analysis to Business Unit
Leadership and Client Leadership Teams to support healthy margins.
● Partner with Client Leadership Teams and Business Development teams to ensure
revenue forecast accuracy.
● Review and own the pricing for commercial contracts up to $10M.
● Identify areas of improvement to increase Gross Margin by working closely with the
delivery stakeholders (Business Development, Client Leadership Teams, Staffing, People
team, Head of Professional Services, etc.).
● Creation and presentation of functional or departmental spend versus budget by
highlighting material variances to support budget governance.
● Development of less experienced staff through a direct report structure, providing
guidance and coaching as needed.
● Work closely with the NA Head of Business Finance to provide inputs to the monthly
forecast and annual planning process.
Critical Skills and Experience
Experience: Minimum of 6 years of work experience demonstrating increasing responsibility in
the following areas:
● Revenue Recognition
● Financial planning & analysis
● Development of budgets and forecasts
● Corporate finance and/or accounting
● Enterprise optimization / continuous improvement
● Professional Services experience preferred
● Public company expertise preferred
● Channel/Vertical/Segment P&L & gt; $100M reporting experience preferred
● Fundamental understanding of industry business operations, connecting financials to
● Ability to implement new business processes and reporting
● Ability to manage multiple priorities while keeping pace with changing internal and
external customer demand
● Highly proficient in Microsoft Office; emphasis on Excel (pivot tables, v-lookups,
● Analytical and critical thinking skills
● Highly collaborative team player
● Ability to work both independently and cross-functionally
● Working knowledge of financial statements and basic accounting
● Cost modeling
● Strong attention to detail
● Intellectual curiosity; desire to learn
● Experience with Oracle Peoplesoft is a plus
Education: Bachelors of Science in Accounting or Finance. Master's Degree in Finance or
Accounting, MBA, CPA, CFA or CMA a plus.
Not quite ready to apply? Or maybe this isn’t the right role for you? That’s OK, you can stay in touch with AccessThoughtWorks, our learning community (click "contact me about recruitment opportunities" to hear about jobs in the future).
It is the policy of ThoughtWorks, Inc. to provide a work environment free of discrimination. The Company will take affirmative action to ensure applicants and ThoughtWorks employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin, ethnic origin, veteran or military status, family or marital status, disability, genetic information, age, sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity. This also includes individuals who are perceived to have any of the aforementioned attributes. ThoughtWorks will adhere to all federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations governing employment.