Finance & Strategy Associate at M1 Finance
M1 is reinventing personal finance and creating the next generation financial institution. We believe the current tools used to invest, borrow, and spend your money are woefully outdated and overpriced. That’s why we’re rethinking what’s possible with new technology and building the tools to empower people to make the most of their money.
We started by building a beautiful, one-of-a-kind automated investing platform. People can easily customize and automate their investments, borrow against a portfolio line of credit, and soon, use M1 as their bank – creating the next generation personal finance account. There has never been an easier, more convenient, or less expensive way to manage your money.
Headquartered in Chicago, we’re rapidly growing and currently manage over half a billion dollars with hundreds of thousands of users. But we are not done. We’re just getting started and have ambitious plans to take on an entrenched industry. Join us and help build the future of personal finance.Job Description
As a Finance & Strategy Associate, you will play a critical role in the financial management of M1. You will be responsible for tracking key financial metrics, monthly/annual budgeting, modeling forecasted growth, and a variety of other analyses. This is an ideal position for an execution-focused individual looking to play a mission-critical role at a high-growth startup. The Associate will have a high level of exposure to senior leaders and collaborate extensively with the Operations team.
- Own all financial modeling efforts to support budget forecasting and future fundraising efforts
- Prepare monthly financial statements in accordance with GAAP and FINRA / SEC reporting rules and regulations
- Help file FOCUS reports, Part IIA, SSOI forms, and audited financials
- Manage vendor payments, employee expense reimbursements, and other related tasks
- Support the Financial Operations team with regulatory and compliance reporting for M1’s broker dealer entity
- Assist the Financial Operations and Compliance teams in identifying and resolving broker dealer related financial risk and ensure the firm complies with net capital requirements
- 3+ years of experience in a financial reporting role, either with a consulting firm, investment bank, or accounting firm
- Strong financial analysis and modeling skills
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel and experience with SQL (or willingness to learn)
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting standards and experience with QuickBooks
- Strong project management skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance (CPA or Series 27 a plus but not required)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.