Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
About Internal Audit
Discover’s Internal Audit (IA) Department has a commitment to provide insightful perspectives, leverage specialized talent, and deliver a refreshing experience to all of our stakeholders. This commitment is met through collaborative, hard-working, highly motivated, and technically skilled professionals who consistently deliver high-quality work in a challenging and fast-paced environment. IA brings a consultative and progressive approach to their work, which is predicated on a culture of enhancing risk management and business outcomes for Discover, actively contributing to the development of its professionals, and embracing a mindset of innovation and continuous improvement. The department of approximately 150 professionals globally is viewed as a critical piece of the risk management framework and is valued as a trusted voice and indispensable partner.
The Lead Auditor uses operational and technical skills to support the DFS Internal Audit Department objectives. The Professional Practices Lead Auditor position is responsible for supporting the operations of the Internal Audit Department including quality assurance reviews, regulatory examination management, methodology changes, projects and department initiatives, change management and audit committee reporting.
What You’ll Do
- Participate in various reporting activities, including coordinating the compilation of data and metrics for quarterly reporting, issuance of audit reports, creation of quarterly reports to senior management and the DFS Audit and Risk Committee(s)
- Complete quality assurance reviews and communicate the results
- Assist with changes to the department policies and procedures including ensuring alignment with the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF), compliance to regulatory requirements, and integration with Corporate Risk programs
- Participate in the Change Management process, including coordination of technology changes associated with the methodology updates and training on methodology changes
- Coordinate with regulators and Law/Regulatory Relations
- Use operational and technical skills to support DFS Internal Audit Department objectives.
- Review business processes, identify and assess controls, and communicate results with clients.
- Develop action plans.
- May occasionally support audit reviews to improve controls and efficiencies of the activities reviewed, following DFS Internal Audit methodology — audits and special reviews will be of Direct Banking (Marketing, Operations, Consumer Banking and Credit Risk Management), Human Resources, Finance, Corporate Risk Management, Payment Services, IT General Controls, IT Network and Infrastructure, Models, Corporate Support.
- May assist audit staff through the completion of the entire audit, interview clients, review business processes, identify and assess controls, test key controls, develop findings and communicate with clients to develop and follow up on action plans.
- The department training and development program and initiatives including Internal Audit New Employee Orientation, enhancing training on regulatory requirements, bringing various trainings in-house, tracking department progress on training requirements, etc.
- Department recruiting and rotational programs and initiatives including recruiting for full time employees, interns, and the department leadership program (rotational program with other departments)
How You’ll Do It
- Develop and educate audit team members, defining expectations for their performance.
- Administer the opening, review of findings, and closing of client meetings.
- Lead periodic meetings with internal audit management and the business units.
- Define for audit staff the overall audit scope, providing them with assignments and direction throughout the audit project
- Understand how applications and related Information Technology (IT) General Controls support achievement of business processing objectives.
- May assist with drafting findings, actions, and reporting (with the assistance of the audit staff draft the findings, actions and report)
- May assist with communicating audit status and findings to key clients. Work with clients to evaluate the adequacy of actions items to ensure they address the root cause.
- Review staff audit work for completeness, effectiveness and accuracy.
- Use knowledge of company/industry practices and processes to define key business risks, expected controls and to assess actual controls
- Provide audit supervisor feedback on staff performance to be incorporated into the staff job evaluation.
- Work closely with IT, operational, compliance and financial auditors to ensure a comprehensive and coordinated effort in covering the audit entity.
- Follow-up on assigned actions from the audit (status updates and verifications).
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in applied sciences, engineering, operations, accounting, finance, business, computer science, data science, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in applied sciences, engineering, operations, accounting, finance, business, computer science, data science, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- 4+ years of experience in applied sciences, engineering, operations, accounting, finance, business, computer science, data science, or related field
- Practical experience in risk based auditing, compliance, risk management activities or regulatory examinations
- Working experience in the financial services, banking, credit cards, or public accounting
- Experience in project management, Six Sigma or Agile methodologies
- Experience with automated work paper system (Pentana)
- CIA, CAMS, CRMC, CPA, CISA, or related certification
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication and exhibit strong partnering skills and ability to interact with various levels of management and external stakeholders
- Foster a positive work environment by soliciting feedback from teammates
- Demonstrate ability to leverage critical thinking and analytical skills
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities or deliverables
- Coach others to enhance their competence and professional development
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.