Internal Auditor at Morningstar
The Area: Morningstar is a leading provider of financial information. Reporting to the Board of Directors, Morningstar’s Internal Audit Services is an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve the company’s operations. Internal Audit Services helps the company accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
The Role: Morningstar’s Internal Audit Services seeks a highly motivated Associate Internal Auditor who thrives on new experiences and challenges. As an Associate Internal Auditor, you will play an integral role in evaluating the company’s business processes and effectiveness of internal controls. You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of financial, operational, information technology, and compliance reviews as well as evaluate the effectiveness of internal controls over external financial reporting as part of the company’s Sarbanes-Oxley Section 404 compliance activities. Based at the company’s headquarters in Chicago, the Associate Internal Auditor will be responsible for traveling to a number of domestic and international locations in support of our annual internal audit plan. You will work closely with all levels of management across the organization, recommending changes to strengthen controls for increased efficiencies and reduced risks. The Associate Internal Auditor will have the opportunity to utilize and reference world-class audit tools and audit methodologies in the performance of his or her duties.
• Assist with the planning and execution of financial, operational, information technology, and compliance related reviews.
• Perform walkthroughs of complex business processes and test the design and effectiveness of internal controls.
• Document work and assist in the preparation of observations and recommendations for corrective action.
• Effectively apply the COSO internal control framework and US GAAP accounting principles.
• Serve as a consultant and business partner with management.
• Action-oriented, self-starter with strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Comfortable working both independently or in teams and working within a complex environment.
• Ability to diagnose problems, determine root causes, and recommend solutions to complex challenges.
• Undergraduate degree in accounting, business, or a related field.
• Up to three years of internal or external audit experience.
• Experience in working for a Big 4 or Tier-Two public accounting firm preferred.
• Experience in performing data analytics and using data extraction and analysis software a plus.
• Experience and/or interest in information technology is a plus.
• Professional accreditation (e.g., CIA, CPA, CISA) a plus.
• Willingness to travel to domestic and international offices (25%).