Internal Controls Manager at Morningstar
About the Role
Morningstar is looking for Internal Controls Manager to join our global Finance team, which is focused on business partnership, innovation, automation, and process improvement. As the Internal Controls Manager, you will provide guidance and oversight of Morningstar`s global compliance with the provisions of Section 404 of The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 ("SOX") in coordination with various stakeholders, including local finance teams, information technology teams, internal audit, and external auditors. The role reports to Morningstar’s Senior Manager – Financial Reporting and is responsible for understanding the overall financial control environment, coordinating documentation, oversight of scoping and testing, and evaluating deficiencies, as well as providing controls guidance for process and system changes. This is a full-time position and is based in Chicago.
• Provide management, guidance, and oversight of the global SOX program, including the annual scoping and risk assessment process, control design and operating effectiveness testing and deficiency analysis.
• Act as primary point of contact for the global SOX program, liaising with management, internal audit, external auditors, and other stakeholders.
• Perform annual planning of the Company's SOX compliance efforts (e.g., risk assessment, materiality, scoping, due dates, etc.).
• Maintain inventory of key control catalog and business process documentation.
• Collaborate with process and control owners for remediation of identified deficiencies, advising them on internal control enhancements or process changes, as appropriate.
• Perform continuous monitoring of policies and procedures, and ensure required updates are processed as needed.
• Assess changes or improvements to processes and/or technology for SOX impact and provide guidance/recommendations, as necessary.
• Lead the vision of leveraging controls to optimize operational benefits throughout the organization through streamlining and automating control activities within financial and IT processes.
• Prepare quarterly Audit Committee reports, providing analysis and insight into the global SOX program.
• Develop and deliver SOX training to stakeholders as needed.
• Establish and develop relationships with stakeholders throughout the organization to deliver on commitments and achieve established goals.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
• 5-8 years of public accounting experience or SOX Audit experience at a multi-national public company or firm, Big 4 preferred.
• Minimum of 2+ years of experience in a managerial role with supervisory experience.
• Relevant professional certification (CPA or CIA preferred).
• Solid understanding of SOX testing methodologies, risk assessment practices and the PCAOB requirements and COSO framework.
• Proven ability to manage competing priorities and coordinate multiple stakeholders to deliver results.
• Forward thinking attitude with a continuous improvement mindset.
• Strong skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio, and Word).