What We Do:
Uptake harnesses the power of underutilized data to empower businesses to make informed decisions. We partner with industry leaders to build a predictive analytics software that grows smarter in one industry because of what we learn in another. The result is a powerful platform that identifies problems before they happen, ultimately saving money, time and lives.
Our team drives this success by connecting customers and partners to the value of the Internet of Things, business-centric architectures, and key technology transitions.
What You'll Do:
As the Payroll Manager, you will manage the payroll process in its entirety and consider ways to streamline current processes and procedures. You'll be reporting to the Controller and this person will work closely with the HR, Benefits and Finance teams.
- Process semi-monthly payroll with detail and accuracy for approximately 700 employees in the US and Canada.
- Ensure the integrity of all data entered into the payroll system including new employees & subsequent changes to employee information
- Act as the first point of contact for Uptakers concerning payroll questions.
- Maintain data alignment across all systems that house employee-related data
- Identify and implement processing and reporting best practices, solutions, and systems to streamline and automate processes across teams
- Prepares weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.) for management and various departments.
- Performs various journal entries, account reconciliations, and provides general ledger support (e.g., bonus accruals, research cash / expense discrepancies).
- Calculate bonus payments, PTO, missed hours, including severance payouts
- Look for system improvements; process various system audits to ensure the accuracy of information (monthly & quarterly)
- Document payroll processes and create and improve standard operating procedures
- Document payroll issues, off cycles, and opening & closing of earning / deduction codes
- Interpret pay policies (vacation; LOA; withholding exemptions, etc.) in regards to payroll
- Ensure complete confidentiality of payroll data, records and personal indicative data.
- Manage Time and Attendance data entry for all employees.
- Analyze and respond to all Tax inquiries on a Federal and State level.
- Drive compliance with various legal requirements including wage garnishments etc
- Prepare federal and state quarter-end and year-end reconciliations and filings, including W-2s, T-4s and 1095-Cs
- Ensure accurate payroll record-keeping of W-2s, timekeeping, and other payroll related documents in compliance with tax and other government regulations.
- Assist Accounting Manager with Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) and Deferred Profit Sharing Plan (DPSP) maintenance and integration with payroll system.
- Five or more years of experience in payroll processing; accounting, and human resources experience.
- Experience processing payroll for multiple countries (specifically Canada)
- Must be able to use independent thought to analyze data and make recommendations
- Strong analytical skills, mathematical aptitude; excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated leadership ability, and advanced computer skills, including Word and Excel
- Excellent attention to detail and desire to learn
- Must be highly organized in a fast-paced environment with superior time management skills
- Must be adaptable to change and be able to work independently for long periods of time
- Long hours may sometime be required.
- Startup Experience a plus
- ADP Workforce NOW experience a plus
- Experience implementing new HRIS software products
- Bachelor’s or Associates degree in Accounting, Human Resources, Business or related field preferred
Why Work Here
We build and deliver, then explore to build more. Curiosity and flexibility enable everything we do, and we get stronger as we make each new industry smarter. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs and experiences to solve problems no one has yet to solve, at a speed no one has yet to experience. We support and challenge one another to bring out a new best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way.