Morningstar is looking for a Mutual Fund Accounting Manager to join our Morningstar team, which is focused on innovation, automation and process improvements. As a Mutual Fund Accounting Manager and upon Board of Trustees approval, you will work closely with the Morningstar Funds Trust (the Funds). This is a full-time position and is based in our Chicago office in the heart of the Loop.
• Assist the Fund’s Principal Financial Officer in overseeing the activities performed by the Funds’ administrator and fund accountant.
• Assist the Funds’ independent auditor on accounting and financial reporting matters.
• Assist in the preparation of materials for the Funds’ Board of Trustees on accounting and financial reporting matters.
• Oversee and monitor the daily net asset value calculated by the Funds’ administrator.
• Review the calculation of the funds' monthly SEC yields and income accruals, including analysis of changes for previous month, as required.
• Manage the Funds' expenses, including the accounts payable process and budget.
• Manage the process on the Morningstar side to compile the required 40 Act Regulatory Filings (Annual Report, Semi-Annual Report, Prospectus and NPORT) in coordination with the Funds Administrator.
• Contribute to the oversight and implementation of financial policies and procedures.
• Identify, drive and implement improvement opportunities.
• Assist in preparing and measuring investment adviser profitability reports for the Funds’ Board of Trustees, including 15c reporting.
• Assist with monthly general ledger closing journal entries, including revenue accruals and cost of sales.
• Assist in managing the Mutual Fund Finance Committee meeting by preparing materials that present net revenue of the funds and how fund expenses are tracking relative to budget.
• Liaise with teams across the organization such as operations, product development, legal & compliance, investment advisory, and marketing.
• Participate in special projects as requested by the Funds’ Board of Trustees.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required.
• Completion of CPA, CFA is preferred.
• Minimum 7 years of applicable mutual fund administration and accounting experience.
• Excellent communication, teamwork, and collaborative skills.
• Demonstrates a strong understanding of fund accounting and administration in the mutual fund industry, which includes experience managing the year-end audit process.
• Understanding of regulatory and compliance requirements required for 40 Act Mutual Funds. Demonstrates a deep understanding of risk assessment and ensures strong internal control procedures and documentation.
• Knowledgeable regarding derivative products - SWAPS, Futures, Forwards and options, including custodial and operational best practices.
• Experience with general corporate accounting, a plus.