Mutual Funds Accounting Manager at Morningstar
Morningstar is looking for a Mutual Fund Accounting Manager to join our Morningstar team, which is focused on innovation, automation and process improvements. As a Mutual Fund Accounting Manager and upon Board of Trustees approval, you will act as the Assistant Treasurer of the Morningstar Funds Trust (the Funds) working closely with the Funds Principal Financial Officer. This is a full-time position and is based in our Chicago office in the heart of the Loop.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist the Fund’s Principal Financial Officer in overseeing the activities performed by the Funds’ administrator and fund accountant.
• Assist the Funds’ independent auditor on accounting and financial reporting matters.
• Assist in the preparation of materials for the Funds’ Board of Trustees on accounting and financial reporting matters.
• Oversee and monitor the daily net asset value calculated by the Funds’ administrator.
• Review the calculation of the funds' monthly SEC yields and income accruals, including analysis of changes for previous month, as required.
• Manage the Funds' expenses, including the accounts payable process and budget.
• Manage the process on the Morningstar side to compile the required 40 Act Regulatory Filings (Annual Report, Semi-Annual Report, Prospectus and NPORT) in coordination with the Funds Administrator.
• Contribute to the oversight and implementation of financial policies and procedures.
• Identify, drive and implement improvement opportunities.
• Assist in preparing and measuring investment adviser profitability reports for the Funds’ Board of Trustees, including 15c reporting.
• Assist with monthly general ledger closing journal entries, including revenue accruals and cost of sales.
• Manage the Mutual Fund Finance Committee meeting by preparing materials that present net revenue of the funds and how fund expenses are tracking relative to budget.
• Liaise with teams across the organization such as operations, product development, legal & compliance, investment advisory, and marketing.
• Participate in special projects as requested by the Fund’s Principal Financial Officer or the Funds’ Board of Trustees.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required.
• Completion of CPA, CFA, CSC or IFIC is preferred.
• Minimum 10 years of applicable mutual fund administration and accounting experience.
• Excellent communication, teamwork, and collaborative skills.
• Demonstrates a strong understanding of fund accounting and administration in the mutual fund industry, which includes experience managing the year-end audit process.
• Understanding of regulatory and compliance requirements required for 40 Act Mutual Funds. Demonstrates a deep understanding of risk assessment and ensures strong internal control procedures and documentation.
• Knowledgeable regarding derivative products - SWAPS, Futures, Forwards and options, including custodial and operational best practices.
• Experience with general corporate accounting, a plus.