Operations Manager, Fund Administration
The Group: Morningstar’s Investment Management group is a leading provider of discretionary investment management and advisory services. Guided by seven investment principles, the group is fiercely independent, which allows it to stay focused on its mission to design portfolios that help investors reach their financial goals. The group’s global investment management team works as one to apply its disciplined investment process to all strategies and portfolios, bringing together core capabilities in asset allocation, investment selection, and portfolio construction. This robust process integrates proprietary research, patented methodologies, and leading investment techniques. As of [September 30, 2017], Morningstar’s Investment Management group was responsible for [$223 billion], in assets under advisement and management across North America, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific, employing 200-plus professionals, more than half of which were portfolio managers or investment analysts.
In addition to advisory services, the group’s investment professionals build and manage model portfolios for financial advisors in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia and South Africa to create strategies that incorporate a wide variety of investment objectives.
The Investment Management group seeks an Operations Manager, Fund Administration whose primary responsibilities will be to support the launch and day-to-day operations of Morningstar Investment Management’s family of mutual funds. The funds will be available only through Morningstar Managed Portfolios as holdings in our mutual fund portfolios. This position will report to Investment Management’s Director of Operations and will be based out of Morningstar’s corporate office in Chicago, IL.
• Contribute to the launch of the funds by working with service providers, subadvisers, and functional areas within Morningstar
• Manage the daily cashflow allocation instructions in coordination with the fund’s administrator and subadvisers
• Manage the daily valuation process
• Manage fund rebalances and reallocations
• Supervise pre-and post-trade mandate compliance
• Manage day-to-day interactions and relationships with subadvisers, service providers, and internal and external stakeholders
• Develop and uphold fund operations policies and procedures
• Develop requirements and implement fund reporting
• Work with brokerage custodians to establish and maintain our funds on their platforms
• Drive the development of the funds’ systems and infrastructure, product implementation, process and system upgrades, service provider improvements, knowledge sharing, and other project work as needed
• At least seven years of relevant experience in fund administration or operations
• Serve as subject matter expert for mutual fund operations
• Knowledge of investments, specifically mutual funds and other managed product structures, and TAMPs
• Motivated, self-starter with excellent communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills
• Excellent time management, organization, project management, and SOP creation skills
• Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative environment
• Excellent attention to detail
• The candidate should be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment, exhibit a passion for innovation, and harbor a genuine belief in, and acceptance of Morningstar`s core value
• Bachelor’s degree required preferably in business, finance or related major
• Knowledge of industry rules and regulations, especially the Investment Company Act of 1940, Securities Act of 1933, and Securities Exchange Act of 1934 is desirable
• Regulatory licenses or designations nice to have
• High level of proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of applications
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
002_MIMLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity