Operations Specialist, Fund Operations at Morningstar
The Group: The Investment Management group consists of our investment advice and investment management capabilities. Through our registered investment advisor subsidiaries, we use our expertise in asset allocation, manager research, and portfolio construction to create innovative investment solutions for institutions, advisors, and their clients. Everything we do is driven by our independent view, long-term investment approach and desire to always put investors first.
The Role: Morningstar’s Investment Management group is seeking an outstanding trade operations specialist to join our Fund Operations team. This position does not have any direct reports. We are looking for a detail-oriented, self-starter who can work effectively in a highly collaborative team setting. In this role you will support the day-to-day trade processing and investment operations of the Morningstar Funds Trust nine mutual funds. The ideal candidate has excellent organization and time management skills, the ability to multi-task in a dynamic and rapidly changing environment, be proficient in running projects, and thrive in documenting, implementing, and improving processes. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Support all aspects of daily Fund operations through partnership with service providers, subadvisers and functional areas within Morningstar, including but not limited to investment management, legal and compliance, technology, product, and trading.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with subadvisers, brokerage custodians and the funds’ service providers including, but not limited to fund administration, custody, transfer agency, and prime brokerage.
- Work with brokerage custodians to establish and maintain our funds on their platforms.
- Manage daily cash flow allocation processing, pre- and post-trade execution processing as well as cash and position reconciliation.
- Provide oversight over domestic and international trade settlements, fund liquidity, margin balance review and other daily reporting obligations.
- Review and monitor daily asset coverage testing, monthly commission reports, quarterly derivatives exposure and other reports as required.
- Liaise with the valuation committee and the fund administration team to resolve all asset pricing issues within the funds.
- Implement and manage the process for fund rebalances and reallocations.
- Engage with compliance to ensure pre-and post-trade mandate compliance.
- Develop and uphold fund operations policies and procedures.
- Drive development of the funds’ systems and infrastructure, product implementation, process and system upgrades, service provider improvements, knowledge sharing, and other project work as needed.
- Partner with Investment, Compliance and Technology teams to identify, test and implement additional functionality within the Charles River Investment Management System.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in investment management trade operations
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in business, finance or related major
- Knowledge of industry rules and regulations, especially the Investment Company Act of 1940, Securities Act of 1933, and Securities Exchange Act of 1934 is desirable
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Knowledge of Order Management Systems, specifically Charles River, a plus
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
002_MIMLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity