Payroll Manager at Guaranteed Rate
About Guaranteed Rate:
Guaranteed Rate is eighth largest retail mortgage lender in the U.S. The company has become The Home Purchase Experts® by offering industry-leading self-service tools and low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service. Headquartered in Chicago with approximately 4,000+ employees in 300+ offices across the U.S. and licensed in all 50 states, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with more than $20 billion in home purchase loans and refinances in the past year.
Reporting to the Director of Payroll Operations, the Manager of Payroll oversees and directs all aspects of the payroll function and payroll staff ensuring timely, accurate and effective processing of payroll disbursements for all employees in compliance with federal, state and local tax regulations and requirements, as well as, internal policies and procedures.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 4 year college degree required
- 7-10 years’ payroll management experience for a multi-state payroll department, including staff management of at least 5 employees
- Certified Payroll Professional designation required or in process
- Experience identifying, implementing, and executing improvements to existing payroll processes; development of audits and controls.
- Experience using ADP Workforce Now or Ceridian Dayforce software preferred, though not required
- Familiar with state and federal tax and wage laws
- Strong computer skills, specifically in Excel; proficient in data entry and time management
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated team leadership ability
- Project Management experience
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND PAYROLL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Effective manage a staff of at least 2 Payroll Accountants overseeing a payroll of almost 1,000 exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Responsibilities include payroll processing, accounting, reporting, and compliance.
- Provides data to others for salary, payroll taxes, headcount, and incentive compensation budgeting and forecasting.
- Identifies and implements efficient payroll processes and develops new audits to streamline a complex payroll.
- Leads all payroll projects and continuously looks for ways to automate and improve payroll processes.
- Works with a sense of urgency to ensure payroll completeness and accuracy.
- Participates in cross functional projects which involve payroll processing and procedures.
- Ability to understand the interaction between the payroll and accounting functions.
- Ensure the accuracy of all statements issued to employees and taxing authorities and for general ledger transactions.
- Supports the compensation & commissions teams to ensure seamless processing of bonuses and commission payments.
- Ensure proper controls are in place, policies and procedures are documented, and payroll functions are efficiently performed.
- Escalation point for all payroll discrepancies from managers and employees.
- Must be hungry to learn, own their role, and accel at delivering an exceptional client service experience.
- Is ready to work for one the coolest companies in Chicago!
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of California payroll tax laws and regulations
- Organized and able to prioritize
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Knowledge of Microsoft office products
- Able to maintain confidential posture and exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work successfully within a team environment, yet also able to work independently with limited supervision
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Guaranteed Rate is an Equal Opportunity Employer that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, sex, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reason protected by law.