Farmer’s Fridge started with an idea in Chicago: make fresh, healthy food as accessible as a candy bar. Our handcrafted meals are delivered daily to over 250 smart fridges and can be conveniently purchased with a credit card or using our app. This is only possible because of our team of people: techies, logistical geniuses, folks who lovingly curate the food among many others.
Our people are friendly and are gifted with grit and passion. That’s exemplified in our work environment where things are always shifting. Forget open-door policies; we have an open layout where you can hear and see everything that’s going on.
And just like our open layout, we value an open mind, dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on those characteristics, our business’ needs, and your qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind — in the hiring process or in the workplace.
Check out our BuiltIn Chicago page to see what it’s like to work here: https://www.builtinchicago.org/company/farmers-fridge
About the Purchasing Specialist job:
As a Purchasing Specialist, you’ll be responsible to ensure we consistently have the inputs needed to produce our amazing food. On a daily basis, you will manage orders, deliveries and supplier relationships. You will work to guarantee we buy the best quality ingredients at the best prices. This is a team project; you’ll collaborate with the sourcing, production, warehouse and inventory teams to monitor deliveries, confirm inventory levels, and determine what makes sense to buy in bulk.
Your job will include placing daily and weekly orders for ingredients and supplies to ensure our production operations and facility run smoothly. Just a few of the initiatives you will work on include: continuing to strengthen our supplier relationships, managing daily deliveries of products, supporting contract negotiations with vendors, reviewing ingredient and supply quality and tracking delivery times to ensure compliance. You will also help build a scorecard to evaluate their performance.
- Oversee the daily purchasing needs for the facility including ingredients, production and facility supplies.
- Discover and execute weekly savings opportunities by comparing prices among our pre-approved suppliers for commodity items like produce for the best price.
- Collaborate with Sourcing and Warehouse teams to optimize purchasing to achieve cost savings through initiatives such as volume buying.
- Develop a price tracker to record historical prices and to demonstrate the cost savings you are achieving in comparison with the market.
- Participate in contract negotiation and produce buying strategy.
- Monitor inventory levels to avoid stock outs and/or overages of product.
- Maintain detailed records of purchases and communicate to warehouse team through use of receiving log.
- Manage inventory new menu item discontinuations or launches.
- Strengthen existing supplier relationships, manage their day-to-day performance and circle back to ensure that our partners follow up on our expectations.
- Streamline the supplier performance review process by maintaining records of KPIs and owning data reporting for important metrics
- Forecast demand levels and communicate with suppliers to ensure their inventories of our products are aligned with our growth projections to avoid stock-outs
Necessary knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience in the food industry is preferred
- Purchasing experience preferred
- Data analysis skills preferred
- Detail Oriented. You understand that a good treasure hunt involves keeping track of where you’ve already been, checking back for changes, and noting your finds.
- Time Management. You know you need a whole shopping cart of food so don’t allow a single ingredient to absorb all of your time.
- Judgement. You know a good deal when you see one and can make game-time decisions.
- Relationship Building. You can be friends with anyone and those friendships pay off in dollars saved!
- Communication. You listen and understand production needs and communicate those needs to the sellers.
- Adaptable. The ability to operate in ambiguous situations and be flexible as the organization changes and grows.
- Traditional Benefits. Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability.
- 10 paid floating holidays.
- Generous paid time off policy.
- Daily Fridge Credits. You can enjoy these flat rate credits at any Fridge.
- Monthly cell phone credit.
- Professional development opportunities.
- Sports Leagues. Fueling teamwork and collaboration with a healthy dose of fun competition.
- Regular team celebrations for company milestones and other special events.
Farmer’s Fridge is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
View our disclosures related to External Agencies and Applicants below: https://www.farmersfridge.com/careerdisclosures