At Groupon, Accounting isn’t your typical month-end close type of department. While we’re focused on providing financial information to the business, that’s only the tip of the iceberg. We’re building out financial systems to support every new business line and product, so our Accountants get a granular view and understanding of how a business is built from the ground up. The knowledge to gain is vast, as is the potential of our organization to continue growing.
- Play a key role in the month end close process for Groupon’s North American operations ensuring the proper recording and reporting of both routine and more complex technical accounting areas, including preparing and reviewing month-end journal entries, performing general ledger account analysis and preparing and reviewing general ledger account reconciliations.
- Analyze margins across product lines.
- Prepare and review monthly financial statement variance analyses to understand month over month and quarter over quarter fluctuations and provide explanations to management.
- Maintain compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley procedures.
- Collaborate with other departments, including Finance, Tax, Legal, Marketing, Operations and Engineering. Communicate effectively with non-accounting teams.
- Respond to external and internal audit requests.
- Specific projects and other ad hoc assignments as required.
- Assist with coaching and mentoring accounting staff.
- Sound understanding of US GAAP
- Experience with general ledger / month-end close processes
- MS-Office proficiency, specifically intermediate to advanced Excel skills
- Experience with accounting software, preferably NetSuite
- Strong communication skills and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Detail oriented with a strong commitment to preparing accurate work
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- 3-5 years of accounting experience. Public Accounting experience preferred, but not required.
- CPA is a plus.
Groupon provides a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products, and live or lively events. At the same time, we are providing advertising options and tools that merchants can use to grow and manage their businesses. Culturally, we believe that great people make great companies and that starting with the customer and working backward moves us forward. Community matters to us on an internal, local and global scale—it’s fundamental to our company’s growth and to the well-being of the world at large. We also value self-awareness, candor, lunch and WiFi. If we match with you, please apply to join us.