Senior Accountant at Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.We’re looking for a Senior Accountant
The Senior Accountant will support the Finance team by taking ownership of monthly close and reporting as well as bring their expertise to automate and improve current processes. This person will be detail orientated, self-motivated, and driven by personal success. This role is perfect for you if you thrive in a fast-paced environment and are interested in making your mark on a growing tech company.What you'll do
- Responsible for most month end account entries, including revenue recognition, fixed assets, depreciation, accruals, prepayments and contract assets
- Manage the ASC 606 revenue recognition for a complex SaaS and services business, ensuring revenue and cost of goods sold are reported accurately each month
- Prepare and maintain schedules for assets related to costs of obtaining and fulfilling a contract, including commission expenses
- Perform ad hoc projects for the finance team including the implementation of new accounting and commission systems
- Support the Controller in identifying improvements to automate existing processes for increased efficiency
- Assist in preparing monthly reporting pack, providing insight to business trends and variance analysis to leadership.
- Support the overall business by preparing analysis of company spend and account balances, providing accurate information to support business decisions.
- A Bachelors in Accounting/Finance
- 3+ years of accounting experience, 2+ years of public accounting experience preferred
- In-depth knowledge of US GAAP; Experience with revenue recognition under ASC 606, including contract modifications and costs of obtaining a contract
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; highly detail oriented
- Highly motivated, self-directed, able to work independently
- Thrives in a demanding, start-up, fast-paced environment
- Intacct, NetSuite, and/or Salesforce experience, a plus
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.