Senior Director of Finance & Accounting
Senior Director of Finance & Accounting / Chicago, IL
Reporting to: COO
The Catch Company is looking for an experienced financial and accounting executive to lead finance, book-keeping, accounting, compliance, and FP&A. The individual will also support high-priority strategic initiatives and investor communications, as well as building out our accounting and finance capabilities.
What you will do:
- Set accounting/financial reporting strategy, ensuring GAAP compliance
- Manage internal and third-party resources in executing our accounting/financial reporting
- Lead monthly, quarterly, and annual closing process
- Deliver timely and accurate monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- Develop pro-forma financial statements on each of Catchco’s business lines
- Generate and deliver monthly, quarterly, annual budget variance analysis
- Conduct cost reviews to identify savings opportunities
- Oversee Accounts Payable and Payroll processes, and manage bill payments
- Lead annual budgeting process
- Lead annual audit process
- Identify opportunities for process improvements for accounting and bookkeeping
- Direct Accounting and Legal partners in the preparation of tax & other regulatory filings
- Identify opportunities for system improvements and future accounting/financial system implementation (specifically moving off of Quickbooks)
- Support FP&A team in generating cash flow projections and manage cash burn
- Provide support for high-impact strategic projects (e.g., negotiations, M&A, fundraising, new business launches)
- Provide support for investor touch-points as needed (e.g., board meetings)
What will make you successful:
- Curiosity: Always seeking to understand “why”. Always looking to make things better.
- Passion: You are driven by a love for what you do
- Optimism: The ability to bounce back quickly when something doesn’t work
- Action: Knowing when to shift from planning to doing
- Honesty: Transparency with customers, partners and teammates. Strong professional ethics and integrity
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate financial concepts to non-financial executives
- Willingness to be tough on third-party partners in order to drive timely action
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects with different stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial spirit and data-driven mindset
- Willingness to get your hands dirty
What makes this a special opportunity:
- This is an opportunity to own a critical function for a dynamic early-stage eCommerce startup with tons of momentum (ranked #435 on the 2017 Inc. 500 list of the fastest growing private companies)
- We place a premium on building a great culture made up of great people
- You will work with and learn from experienced leaders who have a track record of building successful companies
- We are based in Chicago’s West Loop, with easy access to all major public transportation systems
What experience you need:
- 4-year bachelor’s degree
- Current CPA designation and 3+ years of relevant experience
- Experience working with Big 4 accounting firms strongly preferred
- Knowledge of GAAP accounting, finance, budgeting, tax and regulatory requirements, accounts payable, and banking
- Experience building reporting standards for internal, external, & board communications
- Experience building and implementing financial controls
- Experience using Microsoft Excel
- Experience using Quickbooks or similar accounting software
- Experience implementing new accounting software a plus
- Experience or interest in working in a startup environment
- Competitive Medical Dental and Vision insurance.
- 401(K) and commuter benefits.
- Ability to work from home if there is a need.
- Flexible working hours.
- "Take what you need" vacation policy.