Senior Revenue Accountant
We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform is designed to help education and training organizations deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for users who are trying to advance their careers. With almost 1M active users last year, we incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history. After just closing a $20 million series C round of funding, we’re fueled for growth. We’re ready to enhance our product offering, extend our position in the education and training industry, and scale our (humble) team.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts in our own office.
About the role:
We are looking for a hardworking, ambitious Senior Revenue Accountant to support our growing operations in Chicago. In this role you will be responsible for daily and monthly operations of revenue accounting, reporting and related accounts reconciliations, in accordance with U.S. GAAP and the Company policies. You will ensure the accuracy and timeliness of billing, monitor accounts receivable and manage the collections process. You’ll also work with the Finance team to improve and automate billing and revenue recognition processes.
Some challenges you’ll tackle:
- Prepare journal entries and analysis throughout the month-end close process including review of significant and/or non-standard deals, revenue and deferred revenue reconciliation, management reporting, etc.
- Assist in year-end audit as it relates to revenue recognition, deferred revenue balances and revenue-related system of internal controls
- Drive the technical application of revenue recognition, authoritative literature, and accounting guidance, including advising on customer transactions, contract language, accounting consequences and outcomes
- Prepare technical memos to summarize revenue issues relevant to major contracts, and provide appropriate conclusions and recommendations
- Work cross-functionally within the organization on new initiatives and special projects such as evolving revenue models, strategic partnership programs and new product launches
About the team:
We are a small team of dynamic Finance professionals responsible for the nuts and bolts of making BenchPrep tick. True to startup culture, we aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves to get the job done. We are inspired by a shared mission to help millions learn better and faster through our unique platform.
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting. CPA is highly preferred.
- Have 3 years of public accounting experience or 5+ years’ total accounting experience, along with 1+ years in Revenue Accounting and Sales Contract review for a middle market technology company
- Have demonstrated expertise with SaaS and subscription-related GAAP revenue forecasting, modeling, and analysis.
- Have experience assessing risk and developing mitigating controls
- Have experience interpreting complex legal contracts and applying accounting concepts (ASC 606)
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical accounting requirements to a non-technical audience, as well as experience document accounting policies and procedures.
- Have advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and experience with billing systems and market-leading ERP systems
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard, eat well, and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We tend to eat our (free) lunch together - not because we have to, but because we want to. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We focus on flexibility - both in work/life balance, but also everyday in operating with agility. We care about professional development so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to build their skills. And of course, we have all the La Croix and snacks that you’d expect to keep you moving. It’s no wonder we were selected in Built in Chicago’s 50 Best Small Companies to Work For in 2019, and Crain’s 2019 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners.