About the Role
In this role, the candidate will assist the head of the tax department with the supervision and management of Morningstar’s tax accounting function including SEC reporting. This role reports directly to the Director of Tax and is based in Chicago. We anticipate this role to work collaboratively with other tax team members on specialty projects outside of ASC 740.
• Assist with preparation and review of quarterly and annual tax provisions and disclosures required for the 10Q/10K reporting. This will include the consolidation and review of the global tax provision.
• Assist with modeling of key international calculations (FDII, GILTI, BEAT, FTC, etc.)
• Identify uncertain tax positions and determine the potential impact on the company’s financial statements in accordance with ASC 740.
• Research the applicability of any new accounting pronouncements and standards. Oversee the implementation, where necessary, of such provisions and coordinate with financial reporting team and accounting.
• Assist with maintenance and compliance of key tax SOX controls.
• Lead research, structure, proposal and implementation of tax planning and incentive opportunities.
• Participate in maintenance of transfer pricing program across our international operations.
• Provide support, when needed, for US income tax compliance filings.
• Manage OneSource tax provision and other system driven templates (HFM Smartview).
• Participate in other projects or duties as assigned.
• A bachelor’s degree in accounting is required; tax emphasis preferred. M.S. in Tax and/or CPA is a plus.
• 8-10 years of tax experience with public accounting firm (Big 4 preferred) or corporate tax department (of a publicly traded company). Three to five years of experience as a people-manager or in a similar supervisor capacity is required.
• ASC 740 review experience required.
• Proficient skills in Microsoft Word and Excel. Working knowledge of OneSource software is a plus.
• Ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including a comfort level in communicating complex tax concepts (both internally and externally).
• Enthusiastic, self-starter with strong work ethic and excellent organizational, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills.