Senior Technical Accountant - Equity & Corp Matters / M&A at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
We are looking for an individual who has a strong passion for technical accounting and understanding the economic and business impacts of sophisticated business transactions. You will work closely with our financial reporting, G/L accounting, and internal controls teams, and other cross-functional partners to develop accounting memoranda and position papers on stock-based compensation, M&A and business combinations, internally developed software, leases, and other corporate matters. You will remain up to date on relevant developments coming from accounting standard-setting bodies (FASB/IASB) and the SEC on unique and complex financial reporting matters. Additionally, you will actively participate in and promote a learning culture through ongoing self-initiated learning and knowledge-sharing activities within the accounting organization and across key internal partners.
What you'll do
- Assist in the preparation and review of quarterly and annual filings with the SEC (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, and others), including drafting of financial statement schedules (stock-based compensation, EPS calculations, equity roll forward, business combinations, and leases among others), and completing SEC and GAAP checklists.
- Identify and address accounting issues through the preparation of technical accounting memos. Specific areas of focus include stock-based compensation (ASC 718), leases (ASC 842), and business combinations (ASC 805).
- Perform corporate contract reviews for accounting recognition considerations.
- Act as a strategic partner to Legal, Equity Admin, and Strategic Finance teams by assisting in real-time review and accounting impact assessment for new or changed contracts
- Work with Technical Accounting Manager and Director to establish timelines and prioritization of monthly and quarterly deliverables to support monthly and quarterly close processes as well as financial reporting timelines.
- Perform internal controls in compliance with SOX related to reporting and other complex technical accounting areas.
What we look for
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- CPA required (may consider candidates on track to earn their CPA in the near term)
- 3-5 years’ work experience in accounting, including Big 4 accounting firm experience
- Solid understanding of US GAAP, IFRS and SEC rules and regulations
- Proven process for performing sophisticated technical research and analysis from the problem definition stage through facilitating the integration of any new processes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- High energy and intellectually curious - with a proven track record to communicate and lead timelines and deliverables upwards and cross-functionally
- An orientation toward process and detail-mindedness. Strong analytical and quantitative skills and an appreciation for the operational complexities that may arise when implementing new and/or complex initiatives
- The desire to improve broken processes and make your own job easier over time
- Passion for Affirm and a strong curiosity about technology
- Proficient knowledge of MS Excel, Word and GSuite
Location - Remote Canada
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.