Role: Staff Accountant
Reporting to: Controller
We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform is designed to help education and training organizations deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for users who are trying to advance their careers. We incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history, having achieved significant growth year-over-year and nearly doubling in employee size! The number of learners on our cloud-based learning platform has reached 6 million in 2019, up 30 percent versus the prior year.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts in our own office.
About the role:
Reporting to the Company’s Controller, Staff Accountant is a key member of the Finance & Accounting team. In this role, you will ensure timely and accurate processing of all cash and expense transactions following Company’s policies and procedures while contributing to building efficient and scalable processes. In addition, you will be a key team member of the new ERP system implementation, collaborate with accounting and finance peers on driving efficiencies in month-end close and will have an opportunity to grow and develop in a highly collaborative environment.
Some challenges you’ll tackle:
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly operations of expense accounting, reporting and related accounts reconciliations, in accordance with U.S. GAAP and the Company policies.
- Prepare journal entries and analysis throughout the month-end close process, covering P&L and Balance sheet accounts related to operating expense accounts, account payables, accruals, short and long-term liabilities and payroll.
- Perform bank accounts reconciliations and ensure accurate recording of such transactions in the General Ledger.
- Collaborate with members of the Accounting team on timely and accurate administration of payment runs, corporate card program and payroll processing.
- Manage internal and external communications related to accounts payable, receiving payments, and other accounting requests.
- Provide support during ERP system implementation, business process re-design and automation of certain accounting processes.
- Assisting during annual audit by providing necessary documentation and analysis to external auditors.
About the team:
We are a growing team of dynamic Finance professionals responsible for the nuts and bolts of making BenchPrep tick. True to startup culture, we are strategic business partners who aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves to get the job done. We are inspired by a shared mission to help millions learn better and faster through our unique platform.
You should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 3+ years of accounting experience, CPA is preferred
- Proficient in MS Office applications, Excel power user
- Strong analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively with cross functional teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge/experience with following applications (preferred): QuickBooks, NetSuite, Intacct, Bill.com and Expensify
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard, eat well, and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We tend to eat our (free) lunch together - not because we have to, but because we want to. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We focus on flexibility - both in work/life balance, but also everyday in operating with agility. We care about professional development so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to build their skills. And of course, we have all the La Croix and snacks that you’d expect to keep you moving. It’s no wonder we were selected in Inc’s Best Workplaces of 2020 and Crain’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners.