Staff Accountant at dscout
We are dscout. At our core, we are People Nerds. We empower our customers to meet the people who matter to them in the moments that matter most. Customer-obsessed companies and agencies like Lyft, Nike, IDEO, and REI use dscout to build better products and services because of people like you. We are building a smart and driven team in our Chicago HQ, and we would love for you to join us.
We are looking for a Staff Accountant to join our small-but-mighty Finance Team. You will have the opportunity to join a rapidly-growing company and establish the accounting procedures that will help us scale. You have a solid foundation from your professional experience to know the basic functions of an accounting department. You are able to roll up your sleeves to get work done -- we have a lot to do! You love the feeling that comes with getting the details and the numbers 100% right. Your role interacts with almost every department internally -- and, very often, our customers themselves -- so you approach your work with a customer service mindset. You work with the utmost respect for the confidentiality of the information to which you have access. We are excited for someone to grow their career with us -- if that’s you, please apply!
What you will do (let’s call them Responsibilities):
- Manage primary workflow for accounts payable:
- Process payments to vendors and reimbursements to employees
- Prepare, process, and reconcile scout (research participant) payments
- Manage expense accruals
- Support the month-end close process including preparing monthly bank reconciliations and other monthly reconciliations, monthly accruals, and monthly variance to budget analysis
- Assist with preparations of annual budgets, modeling, forecast, and audit requests
- Provide additional support for the finance department, including administration, financial analyses, monthly financial metrics, and preparation of reports for financial reviews
- Help build better systems and processes to make us more efficient, and document these processes and procedures
What you need to have (we can call them Desired Skills and Background):
- 2-3 years experience in accounts payable, preparing account reconciliations, or similar entry-level accounting functions
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance, or equivalent work experience
- Understanding of a P&L, balance sheet, recognizing debits/credits, accruals, and other accounting basics
- Incredible detail orientation, strong organizational skills, and an analytical mind
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Customer service mindset with a focus on responsiveness
- Upstanding character with high integrity
- Plus: experience with Salesforce, QuickBooks Online, NetSuite, and/or PayPal
What will you get?
Here at dscout, we are a team of passionate research, sales, technical, marketing, design, success, and operations professionals. We are driven by the power of research—how in-context insights from real people can build products and services that are more people-centric. We value learning, sharing, and building. We deeply value being a diverse and inclusive team and company, and we are looking for team members who align with that belief. We are proud of what dscout is today and we are excited to build our future with you.
In addition to joining a smart and passionate team, you will get:
- A strong compensation package with bonus structure. Your success is tied to company success. We are all in this together.
- An incredible set of core benefits as well as a 401k with match, solid PTO policy, and generous company holidays. We are committed to helping build your future.
- Exposure to the inner workings of a growing company. And open, transparent communication within our team. You will know what is happening and why it matters.
- An education stipend. Keep learning and sharpening your skills.
- A beautiful workspace, on the river, with lots of places to eat, drink, and play.
- Plenty of snacks, drinks, and caffeine to keep you powered throughout the day, and a weekly happy hour to relax with the team.