Our Value Proposition: Clearcover is a venture-backed technology start-up disrupting the trillion-dollar legacy insurance market. We’ve focused on building products that create confident, happy customers - and we’re flourishing. We believe in putting our people first, paying them well, and working together to solve tough problems. If you’d like a high-growth opportunity with an award-winning company, let’s chat.
In this role: The Chief Actuary holds comprehensive management and oversight of Clearcover’s actuarial function including advancing the core pillars of rate adequacy, reserving, and lifetime value modeling. Core responsibilities include managing and monitoring the risk profile for the enterprise by being an advisor to the office of the CFO on reinsurance and catastrophe management.
This role will drive and refine portfolio level reserving policy and will establish a partnership grounded in trust and transparency with Claims leadership.
The Chief Actuary is a key stakeholder in the strategic development and planning process for the enterprise. This role leads the development and continuous enhancement of all relevant Insurance P&L inputs to the financial operating models. The Chief Actuary is charged with driving the company’s achievement of financial targets grounded in actuarial support and while maintaining a balance with its revenue and risk management goals.
This role is a key business partner to Claims, Finance, Product Management, Revenue, Servicing, and Technology at a tactical and strategic level. This role leads the development and continuous enhancement of all relevant Insurance P&L inputs to the financial operating models.
What will you be doing?
- Deliver a long term vision for the function within the first hundred days.
- Complete a thorough review of existing actuarial strategy in the first hundred days to ascertain effectiveness.
- Build a world class actuarial culture which achieves high standards of technical excellence and leverages technology to drive portfolio level measurements where possible.
- Set, drive and execute an ambitious innovation roadmap for reserving, rate adequacy, and lifetime value modeling.
- Motivate the team to stay curious and current on industry trends and the competitive landscape. Collaborate cross functionally to ensure knowledge sharing on market trends.
- Function as an everyday partner with claims leadership.
- Provide regular updates to investors and reinsurers, as necessary.
- Be a steward of our Leadership Principles and ensure the team lives by them every day.
- Serve as a credible, knowledgeable and trusted resource to the senior leadership team.
What will you bring?
- Actuarial Fellow Designation (FCAS) and Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA) required.
- Senior leadership or Executive level experience in a rapid growth environment.
- Extensive experience in a management role.
- Ability to quickly gain thorough knowledge of the company (internal and external) and its products.
- A willingness to examine every opportunity from first principles and challenge long-held assumptions about insurance and actuarial best practices.
- Property and Casualty insurance experience required with a strong emphasis on reserving and reinsurance.
- A deep understanding of property-casualty insurance including product management and distribution channel nuances.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, with a variety of audiences at all levels, both internal and external.
- Ability to successfully lead a diverse team.
- Excellent project management and relationship building capabilities.
But wait, there’s more: As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums), and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company, and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.