Tax Manager - State and Local Tax Planning/Strategy
Manages and executes tax strategies in order to reduce the Company’s overall tax burden and risk. Helps to ensure that tax planning initiatives are properly incorporated into the tax compliance process. Assists in driving process improvement opportunities for tax function. Supports acquisition team focusing on due diligence and integration. Serves on a cross-functional team, providing technical knowledge and advice to team members.
Addresses technical issues through utilizing specialized tax and accounting skills and recommends solutions.
- Manages the tax process and implements short and long-term tax savings strategies by collaborating with the various tax functions.
- Partners with planning function to provide support and development of new processes for planning projects.
- Develops staff by explaining complex tax concepts and procedures, documentation and presentation requirements, research and writing techniques, business transactions, and tax minimization and audit defense strategy.
- Support audit function by analyzing and reviewing information requests and collaborating in the resolution of audit issues.
- Participates in divisional and company-wide projects and programs to develop engagement for division-wide and company-wide initiatives.
- Manages the preparation of tax filings which minimize overall tax liability to the Company and continually develops tax improvements to minimize tax liability.
- Upon acquisition, implements processes with acquired company’s management to integrate processes.
- Partners and collaborates in the tax audit defense process.
- Partners and collaborates in the development and execution of tax strategies that reduces overall tax costs/burdens to the Company.
- Collaborates with Finance and Accounting on tax and accounting issues impacting the Company’s financials.
- May develop, mentor, coach and manage staff ensuring the development of employees through orientation, training, establishing objectives, communication of rules, and constructive discipline; builds employee morale, motivation and loyalty.
- Proactively recommends changes in tax procedures, tax methodology and/or tax calculations to tax teams.
- Monitors tax legislation and provides advice on tax issues. Conducts research of applicable tax laws in order to resolve complex tax issues and resolves tax issues and develops best practices for team to implement.
- Manages consulting relationships by identifying consultants for projects, developing scope and fees for task order and managing project deliverables by consultants.
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of experience with public accounting, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, government agency or company with sales in excess of $1 billion OR High School/GED and 5 years of experience with public accounting, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, government agency or company with sales in excess of $1 billion.
- Experience with technical tax laws, regulations and interpreting tax laws.
- Experience supporting the execution of tax strategy based on the key objectives and goals of the Company.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: applying a theme, formatting character spacing, inserting a picture, changing slide layout and theme colors, adding transitions, customizing slide numbers, changing chart style and/or formatting font).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: inserting headers, page breaks, page numbers and tables and/or adjusting table columns).
- At least 1 year experience of direct leadership and/or cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 6 years’ experience with public accounting, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, government agency or company with sales in excess of $1 billion.
- At least 4 years’ experience with technical tax laws, regulations and interpreting tax laws.
- At least 3 years’ experience supporting the execution of tax strategy based on the key objectives and goals of the Company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or Economics.
- CPA. Master’s degree in Tax
- At least 2 years of experience of direct leadership and/or cross functional team leadership.