Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
We are looking for an individual who has a strong passion to combine disciplines of technical accounting and economic outcomes of complex business transactions; support Affirm leadership to present industry impacts and alternatives to the accounting standard setting bodies (FASB/IASB) and the SEC on unique and complex financial reporting matters; develop accounting policies and lead implementation; and actively participate to promote learning culture and develop current and future talent. This position will report to the Head of Technical Accounting.
What you'll do
- Assist in the preparation and review of quarterly and annual filings with the SEC (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and others), including drafting of financial statement schedules (revenue, loans and allowance, fair value tables equity roll-forward, among others), completing SEC and GAAP checklists
- Responsible for the technical accounting analysis on loan accounting and revenue other by identifying and addressing accounting issues through preparation of technical accounting memos. Specific areas of focus include Revenue (ASC 606), loan accounting, including loan modifications (ASC 310)
- Responsible for the technical accounting analysis of loans receivable, implementation of CECL
- Perform merchant contract reviews for revenue recognition considerations
- Research and evaluate new technical accounting standards, prepare technical memos, and articulate positions with external auditors
- Act as a strategic partner to Commercial, Product & Eng, Merchant Risk, Credit, Legal and Strategic Finance teams by assisting in contract negotiation efforts and the assessment of billings and revenue recognition considerations
- Assist in operationalizing new/complex transactions and function as a liaison for Controllership with the Commercial, Legal, Product & Eng, Merchant Risk and Strategic Finance Teams on new initiatives including considering impacts on operational accounting.
- Collaborate with the Legal Department to review new or changed contracts related to business partnerships and entity structuring to identify any accounting implications
- Manages the assessment of accounting implications of new accounting pronouncements and establishes a process for frequent and appropriate communication with stakeholders
- Help in the establishment and work within timelines for financial statement preparation, and work collaboratively with various business partners to ensure such timelines are met
What we look for
- CPA required
- 7+ years’ work experience in accounting, including Big 4 accounting firm experience
- Advanced knowledge of US GAAP, IFRS and SEC rules and regulations
- Demonstrated application of US GAAP to revenue and loan accounting
- Proven process for performing complex technical research and analysis from the problem definition stage through facilitating the integration of any new processes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills, high energy, initiative and creativity - with a proven ability to manage significant initiatives across organizations and across geographies, as well as develop and motivate staff
- An orientation toward process and detail mindedness. Strong analytical and quantitative skills and superior accounting skills.
- The desire to improve broken processes and make your own job easier over time
- Passion for Affirm and a strong interest in technology
- Proficient knowledge of MS Excel, Word and GSuite