Venture Capital Analyst at Bluestein & Associates
Bluestein & Associates
Venture Capital Analyst Position
Bluestein & Associates (“B&A”) is a family office based in Chicago. We have a dedicated venture capital fund, and actively invest financial and human capital to help build scalable businesses. Our focus is Seed and Series A startups in food and retail. We invest across the value chain, including goods, services, e-commerce, distribution, and technology.
Since B&A was founded in 2014, we have invested in over 30 companies. Notable investments include FourKites, a freight location intelligence platform for large shippers; Factor, a prepared meal-subscription service targeted at fitness enthusiasts; Chowly, middleware software integrating delivery and POS systems for restaurants; and Vive Organic, a two-ounce wellness shot. Other investments include Yerbae, Emergy, Buddy Nutrition, Cambridge Crops, and Base Culture.
To learn more about B&A’s investment approach, team and portfolio, please visit http://www.bluesteinassociates.com/.
Analyst Role Description
B&A is hiring an analyst to assist with research and data analysis to support investment decision-making and portfolio value-add. The analyst will be a key member of the team, and will play a central role in evaluating new opportunities, building investment theses, and supporting portfolio companies. The role will encompass data analytics, market research, financial analysis, database management, administration, marketing, and day-to-day operations. This position represents a unique opportunity for a highly-motivated individual to take on a wide set of responsibilities in the exciting world of venture capital and make a significant impact in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. Duties will include:
▪ Review business plans and pitch decks.
▪ Conduct due diligence on prospective new investments (including market research, business analysis, competitive landscape, business/pricing model, and diligence requests).
▪ Gather, summarize, and analyze performance metrics from portfolio companies.
▪ Conduct research and analysis, such as developing investment theses across key areas and ad-hoc market research.
▪ Source new, interesting companies and make first contact with them.
▪ Manage pipeline database.
▪ Develop presentation materials for the firm, portfolio companies and management teams at prospective companies.
▪ Get B&A’s name out there through marketing efforts (e.g. blogging or social media).
▪ Stay up-to-date on market and industries by regularly attending events; networking and engaging with the entrepreneurial community; and tracking relevant startup, VC, and food/retail news.
▪ Help team with whatever needs to be done (e.g. scheduling, emailing, event logistics, note taking).
Required Skills & Experience
▪ 2+ years of experience within management consulting, investment banking, venture capital, and / or private equity preferably in food/retail industries.
▪ 2+ more years of data analytics, financial modeling and / or valuation experience.
▪ Strong market research skills.
▪ Excellent analytical skills, creative, detail-oriented, self-motivated, high energy, and a team player.
▪ Self-starter, solutions-oriented, and comfortable working with minimal oversight.
▪ Strong written and verbal communication skills.
▪ Superior work ethic, strong desire to learn, and uncompromising attention to detail.
▪ Passion for entrepreneurship / business, proactive, and driven to succeed.
▪ Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
▪ BA / BS degree.
▪ Competitive compensation package.
▪ Located in downtown Chicago.
▪ Full-time position.
Please send resume and cover letter to Ashley Hartman at [email protected]