Vice President, Business Development - Financial Planning at Morningstar
The Group: Morningstar’s Business Development & Sales group is responsible for helping our advisor and institutional clients build their businesses and provide better outcomes for investors. The group is structured primarily along the following client segments: Advisor, Asset Management, Retirement, Redistributor, and Commodities & Energy.
Morningstar’s Business Development Team seeks a highly motivated Vice President of Business Development focused on growing Morningstar’s Financial Planning software business within the Wealth and Asset Management segments. The chosen candidate will maintain strong client relationships, develop and cultivate a sales pipeline, and maintain a detailed account and contact information in Salesforce. The candidate will work closely with the generalist Business Development sales team in order to surface opportunities within their territory to deepen our footprint within key areas. By focusing on Financial Planning software opportunities, which compliment other products we offer, you will further represent Morningstar`s solutions to address our clients’ most pressing workflow challenges.
Candidates must be self-starters with strong communication, negotiation, organizational, and presentation skills. This role covers opportunities across Canada and will require approximately 30% travel. This role will ideally be based in Chicago.
• Proactively uncover opportunities for Financial Planning software with new and existing clients.
• Exceed net new sales goals and pipeline building goals.
• Maintain and grow a book of Financial Planning software business through direct relationships.
• Uncover client business needs and work with internal teams to determine optimal solutions.
• Master product demonstrations and knowledge of product capabilities and benefits.
• Be alert to new channels for distribution of Morningstar’s solutions.
• Implement account strategies by building relationships with internal and external groups, including product development, customer success and generalist business development, and cross-Morningstar teams.
• Provide feedback and market requirements to business units in order to drive product innovation and input to senior management on customers and competitive trends.
• Document activities in SFDC.
• 5 or more years work experience within the financial services industry; with proven track record selling B2B financial planning software solutions.
• Experience in lead generation, sales support, and client management.
• Developed C-Level relationships in order to move large opportunities through the sale cycle.
• The ability to build and cultivate a sales pipeline.
• Proven ability to drive the sales process within assigned accounts regardless of roadblocks.
• Strong understanding of systems and overall solution architecture.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written and oral, is essential.
• Self-motivated with strong organizational skills.
• Excellent technical and presentation skills.
• A bachelor’s degree; an MBA is a plus.