Vice President, Infrastructure and Project Finance Ratings at Morningstar
The Team: Morningstar Credit Ratings, LLC is a subsidiary of Morningstar, Inc. and a Nationally Recognized Statistical Rating Organization with a reputation for high-quality ratings and investor-focused analysis. We specialize in assigning credit ratings and publishing research to help investors make better financial decisions. Our services include new-issue ratings and analysis, operational risk assessments, surveillance services, data, and technology solutions.
The Role: Morningstar Credit Ratings is broadening its credit ratings capabilities and has identified the infrastructure and project finance sectors to further expand its sector coverage. The Vice President, Infrastructure and Project Finance Ratings will have the opportunity to lead this effort and will be responsible for the development from the ground up, and the implementation of, the methodology and criteria used to rate transactions in this sector.
Leveraging off this methodology, the VP will be expected to publish thought leading research on the Infrastructure sector in order to highlight MCR’s subject matter expertise. In addition, in this role, you will meet with issuers, institutional investors, and investment bankers to educate market participants on this methodology and Morningstar’s differentiated and forward-looking approach to rating credit risk.
• Work with MCR senior management to develop a credit rating methodology for the infrastructure and project finance sectors
• Develop financial models as needed to rate infrastructure transactions
• Prepare credit rating memo, present, and recommend ratings on new transactions to Credit Rating Committee
• Collaborate with sector specialists to analyze new infrastructure transactions and recommend ratings
• Maintain ongoing surveillance of assigned credits including updated credit reports and financial models
• Interview company management teams to understand individual credit drivers
• Utilize and help train junior analysts in the analytical process
• Meet with issuers, bankers, and investors to educate market participants on MCR’s rating methodology
• Produce thought leading research on the Infrastructure sector highlighting MCR’s subject matter expertise
• Contribute to the credit rating team in other ways including enhancing the research product and process, developing into a voting member of the credit committee, and assuming responsibility for special projects
• 10+ years of experience performing credit analysis on infrastructure and project finance transactions
• A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably with a focus on accounting or finance, MBA or CFA preferred
• Rating agency experience preferred – including developing infrastructure methodology / criteria
• Strong accounting skills
• Superior written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to speak comfortably with senior company managers and institutional investors
• Ability to adjust work hours as needed to accommodate a demanding work schedule
• The ability to formulate opinions and make timely recommendations under tight deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to be organized and manage a project against a timeline
• Strong excel modeling skills and familiarity with Bloomberg
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position. Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.