VP Finance & Accounting at Popular Pays
Global ad spend on influencer marketing is estimated to hit $5B+ by 2020, and the volume and variety of content needed by brands grows at an ever-increasing rate each year, nearly doubling every 2 years.
At Pop Pays, we’re building the operating system for collaborating with creators, to provide our clients the most robust all-in-one software solution for influencer marketing and social content creation.
Our platform connects creators with brands to generate content worth sharing. Content so shareable in fact, that the fruits of these collaborations have been posted to billions of followers online, boosted to millions more via digital ads, repurposed for in-store menu boards, dropped into consumer’s mailboxes as part of direct mail campaigns, and featured amongst the bright lights of Times Square on billboards. A few more of our highlights:
- We recently raised our Series B, with over $12M in funding to date
- Our CEO, Corbett Drummey, was named to Forbes 30 Under 30 for Marketing and Advertising in 2018
- Our company is a member of Facebook and Pinterest’s marketing partner programs
- Pop Pays is a Y Combinator alum – “the world’s most powerful start-up incubator” according to Fast Company
- We have 35 employees and are hoping to add 10+ more by the end of the year.
- Check out our 2018 Sizzle Reel, recapping some of the best content generated by creators on our platform last year – the video itself was put together by one of our creators!
- Top-notch clients who have benefited from the Pop Pays platform include brands like Bose, Revlon, Coca Cola, Samsung, McDonald’s, Walmart, Uber, Jim Beam, M&Ms, Corona, Macy’s, and many more.
Popular Pays is seeking a Vice President of Finance & Accounting to head up all aspects of the company’s financial management, reporting, and compliance needs, and to strategically drive growth across our business, especially our SaaS revenue.
This teammate will report to our CEO, will frequently interact with the Board of Directors, and will be a member of our Strategy Team, an internal advisory board made up of the leaders of each department.
Had you been with us in the last 6 months, you would have:
- Acted as the point person on all major finance-related activities, including financial reporting and analysis, financial operations, strategic initiatives, cash flow management, accounting, tax planning, investor relations, and fundraising.
- Fine-tuned our financial model and built out key measurements and metrics to better illustrate the company’s financial health.
- Created comprehensive analyses to identify which key drivers move the needle the most, informing company OKRs, driving decision making across the company, and generating results.
- Provided timely and accurate reporting on business performance, rolling forecasts, and our financial position to the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Paired with the CEO on prepping financials and slides for Board Meetings and Board Budget Calls.
- Supported our VP of Sales in setting individual revenue goals and outlining an updated commission plan.
- Put together department budgets and an expense plan, ensuring we’re spending where we see returns.
- Paired with the CEO on fundraising efforts and run point on investor relations.
- Engaged several bank partners to explore non-equity sources of financing.
- Managed finance and accounting teammates, helping to better define their R&Rs and the department’s hiring plan.
- Directed all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to our general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll and financial reporting.
- Reviewed and updated our accounting practices to ensure our records are maintained according to GAAP, working with our Accounting Associate to make any needed changes to our journal entries or underlying procedures.
- Selected the accounting firm for our upcoming audit, then mapped out the work to be done and which teammates should tackle which tasks.
- Coordinated with our outside accounting firm to prepare tax schedules, returns, and information.
- Examined our process for invoicing clients, identifying ways to increase the likelihood of timely payment, and setting up the proper tracking mechanism to ensure our efforts are actually working.
- Led the quarterly and year-end revenue reconciliations and calculated commission amounts, keeping an eye out for ways to make the activities more scalable.
- Coordinated with valuation firms to update our 409a info and price per share.
- Been a stakeholder in product conversations to help determine how our development team can support our work towards GAAP compliance.
What We’d Like in a Candidate:
- Current financial professional with at least 7-10 years of financial/accounting job experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or business. CPA and/or CMA preferred but not required.
- Track record of successfully running the finance and accounting functions for a business unit or entire company, with success stories demonstrating how your financial analysis informed company strategy and propelled growth.
- A background in growing SaaS and/or marketplace businesses, with experience scaling a financial operation to $20M+ in annual revenue.
- Experience presenting to and working with a company’s board of directors.
- You’ve led fundraising efforts and owned investor management for past and prospective investors.
- You’ve worked with bank partners to set up and manage revolving lines of credit and/or venture debt.
- You know the in’s and out’s of GAAP compliance and you’ve led a company through an audit.
- You’ve managed and built out finance and/or accounting teams in past roles.
- Someone who thrives in a start-up environment.
- All of the standard stuff: you are detail, process, and results oriented, have strong organizational and analytical skills, and are an excellent communicator.
- You have a genuine interest in getting to know your teammates and authentic desire to build something worth sharing with them.
*These expectations are just a guide. Feel free to apply and tell us why you’d be great here even if you don’t meet them all!
Why You Should Work Here:
- Talented teammates + access to the Y-Combinator network
- Work when it works for you, with flexible work hours and a generous vacation policy
- Top notch benefits package, including subsidized healthcare, transit, 401(k) plans, & more
- Fully stocked pantry with snacks, coffee, tea, and more
- A fresh laptop, motorized sit/stand desk + budget to build it out, and a massive monitor to take your spreadsheet game to the next level
- An awesome office in the West Loop, close to restaurants, bars, and public transit options